Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The grand exit

choppinczech

How did you all exit your wires from your inside to the front and rear of the chassis?

Choke wires, headlights, fans, alternators, gauge sensors, etc.

Grommets? Bundles? Looms?

Show me what you did, or are doing.

I am running two stainless steel tubes for rad supports to the firewall that will hide the horn, lights, rad fan wiring.
Thermostat, alternator, distributor, starter wiring will be all routed to the right side under the body.

In the rear I am using two nickel plated cannon plugs to run all my wiring to a breaker box that will house all my relays.
similar to this one

upload_2017-2-7_18-20-8.png

Just used a tube glassed to the inside of the firewall, running from under the dash down the kick panel and through the floor to the front of the car. In back, I just bundled wires and ran along frame rails.

I used grommets and Looms. Bundled the wires in groups then into looms. (Painless Performance power braid loom.)

Now there's an ask!!!

I used a modular fuse box, which can be configured with fuse holder, relays in any way you want. Due to my preoccupation of not having such things on show I ran all the front end wiring inside the chassis rails. Rear lights are in the body, so wiring will not show. Everything else inside the body, and there is a LOT of it. Most will be in the 'wells' on each side that are lower than the floor.

Couple of pics for fun.

fuse box wiring (10) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

fuse box wiring (11) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

key to fuse box (2) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Are you designing it to be modular and disconnect for future service? I applaud forward thinking, buy my experience working on machines reminds me that connections are a cause of many electrical issues. Just an FYI. I plan to run most of my wires in the frame. The wires to the engine will likely exit the firewall. I will have as few wires and connections as possible. Most of the components will mount under the seat, some under the passenger side dash. I plan to use grommets, soldered joints and connectors, as usual, and am considering using stainless braided hose for conduit on any wires that I cannot hide, I have seen others use inexpensice plumbing parts like washer machine hose or toilet and sink supply lines for this. A budget fix...

Yeah, I ran my coil wire through the firewall and mounted the coil last weekend. It got me thinking about all of the wiring that'll be going up front.
2-5-17.JPG
I have a good amount of space under the overhanging dash for the ignition box, wiring harness, coil, cut out solenoid, etc.

Yeah, I ran my coil wire through the firewall and mounted the coil last weekend. It got me thinking about all of the wiring that'll be going up front.
View attachment 12998
I have a good amount of space under the overhanging dash for the ignition box, wiring harness, coil, cut out solenoid, etc.
Do you need provisions for a transmission detent cable or the like? When I do engine swaps, etc, I try to save the wiring for last, or at least after I install all of the components that may share space. Kick down cables, linkage, throttle linkage, various fuel and fluid lines, etc. They seem to always cause conflict. The build look great, btw. You've made progress!

Do you need provisions for a transmission detent cable or the like? Kick down cables, linkage, throttle linkage, various fuel and fluid lines, etc.

I suspect every one of those is gonna be a snake in the grass. But that's what makes this fun for me.

Those pesky dipsticks and the like have caused countless hours of reconfiguring...lol. Nowadays there are a lot of aftermarket afterthought items. Not so much back a few years when I was actively doing stuff.

Due to my preoccupation of not having such things on show I ran all the front end wiring inside the chassis rails.

Gerry, is there conduit in your frame rails? I've seen how wires are fished through bike frames.

No conduit in the frame. I triple wrapped the wiring in tape and then covered it all in spiral wrap. I will start another thread on my HLight stands and wiring so I don't fill your thread up with my stuff.
G

I will start another thread on my HLight stands and wiring so I don't fill your thread up with my stuff.
G

Please do.

There are various products designed to protect wires. Cloth tape, various flexible conduits, etc. I own several rural properties with water wells and a recurring issue has been the insulation rubbing the well casing and shorting out. I have used various things, but simple clear vinyl tubing seems to work quite well. Anything to buffer the rub.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back