Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Yeti's 27 T Build

TheYeti

Hello all,

I'm posting this thread to document my 27 build from nothing more than a bare fiberglass body, 2x3 .188 steel tube, and many years of research along with lots of my own plans.

My build will consist of:
-27 Fiberglass Roadster body (unknown origin)
-A modified T bucket frame
-4 link rear suspension
-Ford 8.8 rear axle from an explorer (shortened)
-Homemade IFS
-4 cylinder GM ECOTEC with a big turbo (will remain computer controlled)

I hope this one grabs and keeps everyone's attention

Both of these cars have made me want a hot rod since childhood.

The Model T was a 1921 engine in a 24 chassis

The Model A was a 1982 replica by Shay

Unfortunately both of these cool cars were sold at my paps estate auction to cover nursing home costs because of his dementia.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1576934922903.jpg
    FB_IMG_1576934922903.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 87
  • FB_IMG_1576934909143.jpg
    FB_IMG_1576934909143.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 87
I’d like to see your front suspension design. Send photos or drawings. mom interested.
It is currently a design in my head that hasn't hit paper yet. I'll be using S10 spindles with homemade tubular control arms specific to my application. I'll take lots of pictures along the way.

Will you be using any software to plot camber gain or anything like that? Speedway also has a nice spindle for custom IFS with light weight brake options.

Picked up my 27 roadster body today. The previous owner hacked it up pretty bad.

The good news is I'm 6' 8" tall and this is the perfect time to stretch this body for comfort.

Can anyone identify the brand of this body? I couldn't find a sticker anywhere.

Attachments

• 20191228_091913_compress30.jpg
    20191228_091913_compress30.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 73
Trying a photo hosting service. This will make this tread look a bit better.
20191228-091913.jpg

My powerplant as it sits. 07 Ecotec out of a Cobalt. Wiring harness intact and grabbed the ECM also.

This engine was N/A from the factory. Will be getting forged internals and a big turbo. The plan is to achieve 450-500hp at full boost.
20191222-091846.jpg

Have to order bolts from McMaster to put it on my engine stand. No one around here stocks m12x1.75 bolts that are 5 1/2" long

My powerplant as it sits. 07 Ecotec out of a Cobalt. Wiring harness intact and grabbed the ECM also.

This engine was N/A from the factory. Will be getting forged internals and a big turbo. The plan is to achieve 450-500hp at full boost.
20191222-091846.jpg

Have to order bolts from McMaster to put it on my engine stand. No one around here stocks m12x1.75 bolts that are 5 1/2" long
Try starter bolts found in the help section at the auto parts stores.

If you want to use cobalt there is a good source for thinning the harness for in a hot rod.
I'll have to try to dig that up. Although I do already have the schematics printed off of Mitchell On Demand and have briefly looked over what I'll be getting rid of, just haven't started chopping yet. I'm an automotive technician for a living. Electrical and electrical diagnosis comes natural to me. I may even keep the fly by wire throttle body. So many options..

I'll have to try to dig that up. Although I do already have the schematics printed off of Mitchell On Demand and have briefly looked over what I'll be getting rid of, just haven't started chopping yet. I'm an automotive technician for a living. Electrical and electrical diagnosis comes natural to me. I may even keep the fly by wire throttle body. So many options..

Make it DEPENDABLE as you local auto parts might not have what breaks in stock.

Make it DEPENDABLE as you local auto parts might not have what breaks in stock.
Definately plan to. Gone are the days of parts stores stocking every single component but I'm using all very common parts in my build which increases my chances of finding replacements. Also using components with proven results and reliability helps my build to keep me cruising for miles and miles

Brace that body up before you start glassing. Take lots of measurements to make sure the body is where you want it to be when you are finished glassing it. So far ; I've widened a removable hardtop from Spirit Cars. I also chopped it 4 inches. I also plan to widen my doors by 4 inches. I have an r.p.m big boy body ( 23 t bucket ). I have photos of the roof widening & chopping in my thread , ( donnrays projecT ). I've also shortened the truck bed by 4 inches. The beds lid ( 4 inches ) & added a 72 Datsun rear ducktail spoiler. I also made my own dashboard. Hope this is helpful.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back