Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Thinking about a Tribute T, but with an EZ Body, since I'm 6'5"? Toughts?

Mirage

Hey yall,

I haven't been on here in a while, but I've been thinking about doing this for years. I really do love the Speedway Tribute T, this one:
51635127423_42f2f62599_b.jpg

51635127423_42f2f62599_b.jpg

1102sr-01-o-speedway-motors-tribute-t-kit-.jpg

But, since I'm 6'5", I was curious if I could build it, exactly the same as Speedway did, but using the parts from Ron Pope Motorsports? I love this build/tribute exactly how it is, color, wheels, would love a flat 8 (but they're getting super pricey), etc.

I'm unsure if the stretched bucket would look out of place on that Tribute T? Yall let me know if it's doable, before I waste the mans' time?

I guess I need to contact Ron again, as it's been about 3 years since I called him...

Thank you,
Jason

Yes, Ron could answer your questions for sure. The key to the Tribute-T (IMHO) is the stance, achieved with a very high rear frame kick up and dropped front axle. I tired to get somewhat the same look with mine by channeling the body 5" over the frame, and using bucket seats mounted directly on the floor. It sits lower than most buckets, and the seating position puts me "in" the seat, and not "on" it. No reason why something similar couldn't b done with RPM components.

1 b.jpg G.jpg H.jpg

BUT, Spanky you are not quite as tall as he & I................LOL...........You can sit on the floor and still look like you are sitting in the car......LOL........I don't remember Speedway being a member of the NTBA either.....Hummmmmm........

I think a stretched body like Spirits would look more like a regular t bucket. Part of the look to me is the short firewall to windshield distance. I’m only 5’8” is so and I can sit on the floor and my feet don’t touch the firewall. I also dropped my frame to lower my seat in the car.

Hi Mirage . Ron Popes " BIG BOY " is 10's longer between the windshield & the firewall & 6"s wider. If you make your own frame for Ron's body , you won't have any problems with the body fit. Spirit cars body is 5"s longer from the back of the windshield to the back of the body. You will need a taller kick up on your frame to attain the lower body position. Does Speedway motors offer a frame for their Tribute T ? If so ; you'll need to extend their frame to fit the longer Spirit cars or Ron Pope Mototrsports bodies. Modifying Speedway's Tribute T frame is a more simple way to reach your goal. The Tribute T frame already has the taller kick-up in the rear . Speedway Motors may offer a front axle for their Tribute T . Hope this helps Mirage.

Correct, but . . . Ron Pope IS, and that's who Jason is talking to. He just likes the Speedway design, and so do I. ;)
Thanks Spanky!

I think a stretched body like Spirits would look more like a regular t bucket. Part of the look to me is the short firewall to windshield distance. I’m only 5’8” is so and I can sit on the floor and my feet don’t touch the firewall. I also dropped my frame to lower my seat in the car.
Spirit will not return and of my calls or emails and Ron's a lot closer to me, than Spirit is.... I was originally going to get a stretched bucket from Spirit about 5-6 years ago, but other things happened in life... My legs are longer than my torso, 40" long from my waist to the bottom of my feet! So, the more the room, the merrier :)

Hi Mirage . Ron Popes " BIG BOY " is 10's longer between the windshield & the firewall & 6"s wider. If you make your own frame for Ron's body , you won't have any problems with the body fit. Spirit cars body is 5"s longer from the back of the windshield to the back of the body. You will need a taller kick up on your frame to attain the lower body position. Does Speedway motors offer a frame for their Tribute T ? If so ; you'll need to extend their frame to fit the longer Spirit cars or Ron Pope Mototrsports bodies. Modifying Speedway's Tribute T frame is a more simple way to reach your goal. The Tribute T frame already has the taller kick-up in the rear . Speedway Motors may offer a front axle for their Tribute T . Hope this helps Mirage.
Hi Donny Ray! I remember Ron telling me about the "BIG BOY" bucket, but I'm wondering if that'll be way out of proportion to pull off the Tribute look? I cannot make my own frame, as I can do a lot, but I'm awful at welding... I do believe Speedway does offer the frame for the Tribute kit. That's exactly what I was wondering if I could do, get the bigger bucket and just extend the frame back some and I'll just have to have a longer driveshaft and wiring for lights.

I do believe Speedway does offer the frame for the Tribute kit. That's exactly what I was wondering if I could do, get the bigger bucket and just extend the frame back some and I'll just have to have a longer driveshaft and wiring for lights.

Why not have Ron just build your frame to the Tribute specs? A lot simpler and no "extending" necessary. :rolleyes:

Ron is not Spirit!

No, I know this, LOL! I was just sharing my feelings towards Spirit! I just hate to bother Ron with questions, if I'm not 100% ready yet... Spirit lost any of my future business, when they decided answering questions or returning emails/calls wasn't worth their time...

I wonder if the economy got them. They have always been so accessible to their customers. They have been expanding recently so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I saw a post on facebook from them regarding lack of shipments of parts of all kinds. They have been pairing with Pete & Jakes for some front end kits, but a lot of stuff is just unavailable. Not a good time to be in the car building business!

I second having Ron build the frame to match his body. You are playing with Fire contemplating buying components from different vendors, especially if you don’t weld. I bought a old bucket and have been updating it, basically redesigning everything and can attest that using parts from different vendors can be a pita. Just my perspective. Ron has always been the one willing to build custom pieces out of the vendors I’m familiar with. He would be my pick based on that fact. Nothing against any of the other vendors. Good luck with your build!

Having Ron Pope build a custom frame for his ' BIG BOY " t body , is the easiest way to go. It's a much simpler solution then the one i came up with. All Ron has to do , is change the rear kick up ( fabricate a taller kick up ).

I second having Ron build the frame to match his body. You are playing with Fire contemplating buying components from different vendors, especially if you don’t weld. I bought a old bucket and have been updating it, basically redesigning everything and can attest that using parts from different vendors can be a pita. Just my perspective. Ron has always been the one willing to build custom pieces out of the vendors I’m familiar with. He would be my pick based on that fact. Nothing against any of the other vendors. Good luck with your build!

I still hate to contact him and not be in a position to buy anything at the moment, as I just bought a 2021 truck, last month. I assumed that if I bought everything from Speedway, then got Ron to extend their frame and buy his body and whatever else I needed for his tub, then use Speedway for the rest of the parts? Ron's only about 4-5 hours away from me as well :)

Having Ron Pope build a custom frame for his ' BIG BOY " t body , is the easiest way to go. It's a much simpler solution then the one i came up with. All Ron has to do , is change the rear kick up ( fabricate a taller kick up ).

I'll try to email him about it sometime. I'm worried that I'm honestly too tall of a guy and the BIG BOY body is going to look very strange on a Tribute T car...?

CCR's stretch body is another you might consider.

I'll check them out, thanks!

I still hate to contact him and not be in a position to buy anything at the moment, as I just bought a 2021 truck, last month. I assumed that if I bought everything from Speedway, then got Ron to extend their frame and buy his body and whatever else I needed for his tub, then use Speedway for the rest of the parts? Ron's only about 4-5 hours away from me as well :)

My advice . . . before you buy anything, talk to Ron about your vision for a T-bucket. He won't lead you astray. ;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back