Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TPI Gages

There instructions that come with the gages are about useless, even one of there techs said so. He told me how to set the Speedo for my ford sender, that info is not even in the instructions. And that the button used to set the speedo should never be preesed while the car is moving, again nothing in the instructions about that. So I set the speedo to low and I still have the same problem The speedo hangs up when it gets to CALCing and that's ware it stops... OK I'm just about done venting...

Has any one had any luck programming there TPI Tech speedo, Any hints you can give me ? I'm ready to pull them out and replace them with something else.

If you make such a quality product why are your techs always busy? O.k. now I'm done venting, but don't ask me about the windshield wiper I got from Speedway...

There instructions that come with the gages are about useless, even one of there techs said so. He told me how to set the Speedo for my ford sender, that info is not even in the instructions. And that the button used to set the speedo should never be preesed while the car is moving, again nothing in the instructions about that. So I set the speedo to low and I still have the same problem The speedo hangs up when it gets to CALCing and that's ware it stops... OK I'm just about done venting...

Has any one had any luck programming there TPI Tech speedo, Any hints you can give me ? I'm ready to pull them out and replace them with something else.

If you make such a quality product why are your techs always busy? O.k. now I'm done venting, but don't ask me about the windshield wiper I got from Speedway...
ihave dolphin gauges i had some issues and called tech support make sure you speedo in grounded by its self my weas grounded with my other gauges and did funky stuff gave it it's own ground and everything is good now

did you buy a wiper or a wiper assembly im about ready to buy mine from speedway

I have TPI and had no problem programing the speedo. It has been about two years but I am pretty sure I just followed the directions. The electric speedo is super accurate according to a gps only about 1 mph off. Glen are you going to the nsra nationals in Louisville? If so TPI will be there and maybe they could figure out the problem.

Yes, I bought a wiper from Speedway, my state requires a wiper, must be electric no vacuum powered or hand wipers allowed, and forget Rain-X that won't cut it for inspection. Last Saturday I'm driving home and get caught in the rain (felt nice, heat index was 105) I turned on the wiper and it made 2 1/2 passes before it striped the gears. Here's the link to the wiper I bought http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Black-12-Volt-Electric-Wiper,2999.html?parentDisplayId=38962 I'm not sure but I think the stainless steel model is the same unit , but with a shiny cover.

Most of the Speedway branded parts I've bought have been a complete waste of money, the proportioning valve leaked so badly that it's useless. had to go and buy another to replace it. Speedway is a good sorce for parts, but if it's Speedway brand I'll avoid it.

So back to the TPI gages. My hours at work are 6:30 AM to 4:30 or later some days, so I thought I'd call them during lunch... yea they shut off the phones from 12:00 to 12:30... Yesterday I did have a chance to call them at 3:00 in the after noon, and was put on hold for 10 minuets, then the girl came back on and told me to call back in ten minuets, and when I did I was told that no one could help me because all the techs had gone home for the day... I've been trying to get this Speedo working for almost four weeks now. :)

Me too i am stuck with a non working TPI speedometer.

So back to the TPI gages. My hours at work are 6:30 AM to 4:30 or later some days, so I thought I'd call them during lunch... yea they shut off the phones from 12:00 to 12:30... Yesterday I did have a chance to call them at 3:00 in the after noon, and was put on hold for 10 minuets, then the girl came back on and told me to call back in ten minuets, and when I did I was told that no one could help me because all the techs had gone home for the day... I've been trying to get this Speedo working for almost four weeks now. :)

That right there would have pissed me off. Next time you call, skip the first line, just ask for a supervisor, explain your issues and demand they help you out. If they do not box them up and get a refund.

That right there would have pissed me off. Next time you call, skip the first line, just ask for a supervisor, explain your issues and demand they help you out. If they do not box them up and get a refund.

I all ready asked, No refund, if I want I can send them back and if they find anything wrong they will repair them and bill me for the repair... So I did box them up, in the Box that the new Auto Meter gages came in. :rolleyes: I installed the Auto meter gages and guess what they worked right out of the box, ,no problems at all.

Finally got mine working partially ,only the odometer. Had to plug an extra wire on the speed sensor, was not shown in the instructions. Now have to find a way to program to have the speedometer working. Did somebody had to program his.
I all ready asked, No refund, if I want I can send them back and if they find anything wrong they will repair them and bill me for the repair... So I did box them up, in the Box that the new Auto Meter gages came in. :rolleyes: I installed the Auto meter gages and guess what they worked right out of the box, ,no problems at all.

Finally got mine working today, if you need any help let me know. The procedure is not exactly as described in th instructions.

Finally got mine working today, if you need any help let me know. The procedure is not exactly as described in th instructions.

"The procedure is not exactly as described in th instructions" Thats an under statement... You have to perform step five before step four... etc. I work around vehical electronics all the time, you guys would not belive how complacated a raido remote control for a crane is, or even the overload system. The problem with the TPI gages is the poor instructions and the customer support.

I have not oppened the TPI gages to look at the circuts, but If your OD is working then its getting input from the speed sensor, so the spedo should also be working.

Thanks for the offer wickedjack, but I pulled the TPI gages out and replaced them with Auto Meter, they worked the first time just fine.

Next time i will spend the money to buy a more reputable brand like what you did.
"The procedure is not exactly as described in th instructions" Thats an under statement... You have to perform step five before step four... etc. I work around vehical electronics all the time, you guys would not belive how complacated a raido remote control for a crane is, or even the overload system. The problem with the TPI gages is the poor instructions and the customer support.

I have not oppened the TPI gages to look at the circuts, but If your OD is working then its getting input from the speed sensor, so the spedo should also be working.

Thanks for the offer wickedjack, but I pulled the TPI gages out and replaced them with Auto Meter, they worked the first time just fine.

My have the same problem gets to calcing and stays there. I've been working on this for over a month, numberous calls to TPI tech who always ready to help. The latest was he had me turn the key on but not start the car, hold the button and keep it held when 'Hello' came on. It stayed on Hello until I pushed the button again. This is the way it is supposed to work. Then he had me start the car and try the same thing, when I held the button, Hello came up quickly and then the read out immediately went to Clr Odometer. Would not stay on Hello. He told me to seperate the button ground from any other grounds which I did, ran it to the engine block. Tried again, and got the same thing. Today he said to check to make sure I was getting 12v to the speedo. I'm in the process of doing that.

What did you do that was not in the instructions? I sure would appreciate some insight before I pull the thing.

My have the same problem gets to calcing and stays there. I've been working on this for over a month, numberous calls to TPI tech who always ready to help. The latest was he had me turn the key on but not start the car, hold the button and keep it held when 'Hello' came on. It stayed on Hello until I pushed the button again. This is the way it is supposed to work. Then he had me start the car and try the same thing, when I held the button, Hello came up quickly and then the read out immediately went to Clr Odometer. Would not stay on Hello. He told me to seperate the button ground from any other grounds which I did, ran it to the engine block. Tried again, and got the same thing. Today he said to check to make sure I was getting 12v to the speedo. I'm in the process of doing that.

What did you do that was not in the instructions? I sure would appreciate some insight before I pull the thing.

Update: rerunning of the 12v did not result in success.

Wickedjack what is the way to get the TPI Speedometer to work? I'd sure like to know to put in a file somewhere if the need arises.

In my case it wasen't just the spedo. That never worked, but I also lost the temp gage and the fuel gage. Just a low quality product. Auto Meter that I installed worked right out of the box, no fristation no drama

I almost forgot about the programming, first check that your sender is programmed as per procedure #5 then go to procedure#4 and if i remember right its ether at self h or calcing that you hold the button for few seconds then drive your mile go to done ( press button ) then :suicide: SHUT THE ENGINE OFF and restart. Let me know tried about 4-5 times and worked.
Wickedjack what is the way to get the TPI Speedometer to work? I'd sure like to know to put in a file somewhere if the need arises.

Hey guys make shure your speed sensor is giving a signal ( 3 wires must be plugged white and black to speedo red to a switched 12v. source) this is for the TPI sender be shure to calibrate it as per procedure #5. Even not programmed the odometer should work, you might have to drive a mile to get .1 reading thats because the tire size is not calibrated but at least you know that the speed sensor is alive.. And he for the Mounties like here you can also calibrate it in kilometers. When setting it up you just drive a kilometer instead of a mile tested it with the GPS speed was right on the nose.

Can tell you that brand new truck gauges from the factory look exactly the same (look very cheap) and they work for years But those instructions are terrible :smashpc:

Hey guys make shure your speed sensor is giving a signal ( 3 wires must be plugged white and black to speedo red to a switched 12v. source) this is for the TPI sender be shure to calibrate it as per procedure #5. Even not programmed the odometer should work, you might have to drive a mile to get .1 reading thats because the tire size is not calibrated but at least you know that the speed sensor is alive.. And he for the Mounties like here you can also calibrate it in kilometers. When setting it up you just drive a kilometer instead of a mile tested it with the GPS speed was right on the nose.

Can tell you that brand new truck gauges from the factory look exactly the same (look very cheap) and they work for years But those instructions are terrible :smashpc:

Thanks Jack!! Got them copied and pasted.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back