Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Unidentifiable front hubs?

Drew Baumgartner

Hi, my names drew. I'm looking to buy this 1923 T Bucket but I'm not sure about the front end, it has an odd ball wheel bolt pattern, can anyone tell me what kind of hubs this is? I'm having trouble adding photo

Hi, my names drew. I'm looking to buy this 1923 T Bucket but I'm not sure about the front end, it has an odd ball wheel bolt pattern, can anyone tell me what kind of hubs this is? I'm having trouble adding photo
Make 9 more post that say just Hello, and you can post a picture.

great post /\/\/\.:D

Have never seen a picture of Anglia spindles that were common in the 50s/60s. Have looked in all the Hot Rod Magazines also, and arn't advertised.

Cant get a good look at that front wheel but is it possible that it is a wide 5 hub? Popular in NE Dirt Modifieds...These are 2 styles used....also used with a ford spindle...(Volkswagon also used a wide 5)
index.jpg w5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Someone just told me the same thing! Let me ask you is there any benifit over this type of front and rear end? The front is ugly with the big drums sticking out past the edge of the wheel. I know changing would mean changing the wheels also. If anything I could do the front only because the rear you can't really see! Thank you so much your help!!!

I really doubt there is any benefit to the the front hubs (weight for racing, usually magnesium), mic the king pin bosses and boss height on the axle and you can most likely revert to a std ford spindle set up. On the rear, if it has a quick change rear end (usually where you find wide 5 hubs) You would have to change the axle tubes to a tube with the torino style ford ends to use a regular hub/brake system. You would also need to change axles since quick change axles are spined at the center and on the hub end. If your not sure on rear here is a winters QC and a Franklin (old school) QC rear. Personally I'd keep the QC if thats what you have, the gearing possibilities are endless and only take 5 minutes. + oil.winters.jpg franklin.jpg

Yes it's a franklin rear. Some said they rob a lot of power is that true? I like the way they look! Do you think this 23 T is worth $11,250? I seen a lot of junk out there for that price, not that this is perfect, far from it. Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Is like to find something I can start with but as you know good deals are far and few. But I must say it's pretty clean. I would start with the engine, tunnel ray with Saul carbs or a blower

I had Anglia spindles back in the days and remember them as Ford spindles before they grew up. The steering arms were real curvy.

Maybe the experts can weigh in on resale value/deals. I'm new to this also and building one. I recognized the wheels from racing. Glad I could help just a little bit.

Do you think this 23 T is worth $11,250? I seen a lot of junk out there for that price, not that this is perfect, far from it!
My opinion, if the engine is in decent shape (no smoke or odd noises) it's worth it. Has some cool features already - top, quick change rearend - and making changes to things like front spindles and engine upgrades are something you can enjoy while owning and driving it! :thumbsup:

If it makes you smile, that's what matters. They are worth exactly what the person buying it will pay... if you are like many of us, you will invest untold amounts of time and money into making it suit you, I seriously doubt that we private builders stand a chance of recovering our actual investment. It's a hobby! Just my cynical opinion, lol...enjoy your build!

i agree also build the car the way you want it and treat it like the hobby it is and have fun doing it you can build one fairly cheap if you make alot of the parts yourself and keep a open mind

Yes it's a franklin rear. Some said they rob a lot of power is that true? I like the way they look! Do you think this 23 T is worth $11,250? I seen a lot of junk out there for that price, not that this is perfect, far from it. Thank you so much for all your help!!!
I don't know about power robbing, but I'd love to have one. No way would I consider letting it get away. Very cool! Being the old school franklin makes it that much better, imho. I like the old stuff. As far as value, I bought a old school project and I justified it by evaluating the pieces that were there. I knew I would be basically rebuilding it to suit my tastes and make it comfortable and streetable.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back