Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

War Stories

Mike

Here's a topic for everyone to tell some of their tales from back in the day, even if that was just yesterday. You know the stories - the one where you can't believe you got out in one piece, or the one where you pulled off the practical joke of the century and you're finally ready to own up to it. Let's keep two ground rules. First, we're not here to slam anyone and second, we need to maintain our 'G' rating.

All the years I've worked in the high-performance industry and drag raced, I have been incredibly lucky to meet some real icons of the sport. I can look at lists of NHRA World Champions from years gone by and call many of them my friends, whilst many more are customers. This is a story about an individual who is both.

A few years before I quit traveling with the race car, Brian (the owner/driver) and I had come to the realization we were starting to get out-classed because of our engine program. We were running 90° V-6 Chevrolet engines, which were a nightmare in and of themselves. We ran an odd-fire combination because we needed the strength of the common-pin crankshafts. Most people think the V-6 is just a 350 missing a couple cylinders, but it comes down to a lot more than that. The fact remained we were both working full-time jobs and trying to run a nationally-competitive car at the same time. We had a very, very good cylinder head porter doing heads for us and then we were trying to do everything else on our own. We could usually qualify in the top-half of a field, but after a couple of rounds we were getting used up.

We were at the U.S. Nationals, walking through the staging lanes when a sputtering minibike pulled up alongside us. The individual on the scooter (needlessly) introduced himself. Being a man of very few words, he said, "I'm Bill Jenkins. I can help you." He handed Brian a business card and rode off. The conversation was nearly over before it had begun, what I was soon to learn is a Grumpy Jenkins trademark. We were aware Jenkins was making a ton of power with his V-6 program, as one of his lead shop men had won the Comp World Championship a year or two earlier with a V-6 D/ED. After discussing things for a few months, when we left the Gatornationals the following Spring, our motor was in another trailer, headed for Malvern, PA.

Over the years, Bill would keep his weather station (you should have seen that bit!), his minibike and occasionally a box of cigars in our trailer, so he would have everything at the track when he would arrive. Our trailer was his home away from home, if you will.

One year we were at Columbus, OH for the Springnationals. And it was typical Columbus weather. Paul Smith once said the air was always so bad in Columbus the birds were walking! It was ugly, ugly hot and humid. For a couple of years, Brian had a partner that actually owned the car itself. Everything else was ours, the engine, clutch, trans, center section and computer. Anyway, the owner was from Dayton, OH and had shown up at the races with his wife and small son. We had just made a hit in the heat of the day. Donnie, the car owner, was in the truck with us, as we went to the other end to get the car. Jenkins had been at the starting line and he got on his minibike to come back to the trailer. Donnie's wife and son were not far from the trailer and they got there before the rest of us made it. The air conditioner was running, so she had gone inside and sat down on the wheelwell on the same wall as the side door. We had to weigh the car and go through fuel check, so we were held up in the line at the scales.

So, along comes Jenkins on his minibike. He clicked it and climbed up into the trailer, walking to the cooler sitting on the floor opposite the door. He reached in, grabbed a beer, popped the top and pounded about half of it down.

About that time, Donnie's wife (whom Jenkins had not seen to this point) asked, "And so, just exactly who are you?!?" She and Jenkins had never met, so she's sputtering mad, thinking some stranger is in our trailer pilfering our cold beer.

When we finally arrived at the trailer with the race car, we see Jenkins sitting on the step, outside the door. Thinking he had to be insane to be sitting out in the heat, I asked him why he wasn't inside. In a near-whining tone of voice, which was 180° opposite of his usual gruff growls when other people were around, he said, "There's someone in there and she doesn't know who I am!"

A man that almost always rode his minibike at the track to avoid the autograph-seekers, a man that had to put on such a gruff persona with strangers he earned a new nickname, a man that was undeniably the most financially-successful racer of his era, a man responsible for some of the technological achievements that allowed Pro Stock to become what it is today was completely out of his league when someone didn't recognize him. :gum:

I consider those years some of the best of my life, being able to work alongside and under the guidance of a man I still consider to be one of my heroes. But on that one day, I realized he wasn't really much different than any of the rest of us, out of place when he was confronted by someone he did not know. We got a torrential rain at the track one year and Bill and I took shelter in our trailer. It was a wall of water rainfall and people just ducked in wherever they could, so Bill and I sat alone, talking, for quite a while. He likely has no clue how much I learned from him that afternoon. It was always enjoyable to have him around when there were no strangers, because Grumpy Jenkins became just regular, old Bill Jenkins and he is a peach! I could tell a boatload of Grumpy stories, but I need to keep those two rules of the game in mind.

Great story Mike. As usual the tales are better than the music. I was at a swap meet in B'ham, at which Don Gartlits was also there. I started scanning the area where he was thought to be. After a few minutes, I was about to give up, when I looked into the face of the guy next to me, in the t-shirt, old jeans and grease under his finger nails. Yep, he was mixing it with the local gearheads. I spoke and shook hands with him. Made my day.

I was at the old Alamo Dragway south of San Antonio in Poteet, TX in the early 70s. Don Garlits and Shirley Muldowney were match racing. I was in her pit between rounds while they were rebuilding the engine. One of the crew members asked me to hand him a piston and rod. I did and got out of the way. I like to tell people I helped rebuild her engine between rounds.

My Grumpy story was at the Houston International Raceway south of the city in Dickenson, TX, again in the early 70s. Gapp & Roush and Grumpy were match racing. I approached Jack Roush with a ton of questions and he was very amenable and answered most of them before he had to go back to work. Later I approached Grumpy with more questions. His answers weren't near as detailed, mostly a short yes or no with an occasional grunt thrown in for emphasis. I think I figured out how he got his name.

Houston International (Speedway, Dragway, Dragstrip, whatever)... I remember it well. Spent most of my youth every weekend out there. Remember watching the Sox & Martin box truck drive in and out of the drivers door comes Buddy Martin and thats it. He unloads by hisself, tunes it up by hisself, beats all the Texas Pro Stock circuit guys by hisself, loads up by hisself and heads out.

Now it is just a Super Walmart and shopping center. SO SAD....

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/7678-houston-international-dragway/

http://www.aafueler.com/his.htm

That one guy doesn't know the difference between Doug Rose and the Green Mamba or Art Arfons and his Green Monster. Doug Rose had the GOOD LOOKING wife.

I will probably not spell all the names correctly.

We used to rub elbows with;
Don Garlits - had two of his chassis when Connie Swingle was weldig them up.
Kris Karmnsines (sp) used to go to his home in Chicago to beer - I remember sitting with him in his '61 Caddy - red with white top if i recall, listening to his "reverb radio"
John Kranneberg (sp) who I recall drove for Kris
Phil Hobbs & Kenny Herata (sp) & ?? who were killed in a car crash I believe in Texas on their wy to race.
Lyle Fischer - Speed Sport Special from Tucson
Mike Marinoff & Bill Reeves - 40 Willis gasser
Pete Farnsworth & Bill ??? carburated fuel dragster
Del Fisher, Bruce Andrews, Roy Miller & Bernie Frawley - fuel dragster, the Lazy Susan
Bud, Don & John - The Guzler
Dick Belfatti - fuel coupe, the Shadow
Crosier, Baltis & Lavato - fuel dragster
Mike Sorokin - fuel dragster, the Surfers
Jack Engle - Engle Cams
Joe Modello - Heads - we worked on our race car in his driveway.
Big Ed Donovan - All his pricing was "racer's net" He said not many house wifes buy this stuff.
Mickey Thompson - they offered me a job when my wife and I visited California in about 1965 or 66. My wife said she didn't like the smog in L.A. M/T had aluminum Chevy blocks in his shop. The first I'd seen. I doubt I would have been at M/T for the 44 years we've been married.
I knew Doug Rose when he as the photographer at Union Grove drag strip and his wife was very nice looking. Doug lost both of his legs in accidents with the jet car but later told me driving that thing was his greatest ambition.
Bud De Boer - writer for National dragster if that what it was called back then. We always had a fun time when Bud was around.

And a few I missed

Phil Hobbs & Kenny Herata (sp) & ?? who were killed in a car crash I believe in Texas on their wy to race.
Both Phil and Kenny Hirata are alive and well. Kenny owns an Oriental restaurant here in Lafayette and his son Dave drives an A/FD. Phil ran a speed shop over in Kokomo for a lot of years. He ran onto some personal hard times (not my story to tell) and ended up closing the shop. I used to talk to his salesman, Mike Allen, on the phone a lot, back when I worked for Fred Van Senus (a name you'll doubtless recognize if you spent time at Union Grove). Mike went on to become sales manager at Crane Cams for a time. I've since lost track of him. Wow, I was just thinking - I worked with Freddy back in 1976 and 1977. Makes a guy feel old, it does. Do you remember Joe Satmary, who drove the We Haul Pro Stocker? Whew, I could tell you some stories about Joe! :wow: On second thought, I do have Fifth Amendment rights, so I believe I will invoke them now. :run:

The last I saw of Phil Hobbs was back in 1984. He and a couple of guys showed up at Indy with a unique Top Fuel car. It had no rear wing and used a ground effects tunnel package under the back half of the car. On the first qualifying hit, the car immediately struck the tires, darted to the right guardrail (double Armco, back in the day), smacked it hard and flipped upside down as it went over into the grass. Phil wasn't seriously hurt, other than his pride. I've not seen him since.

hobbs.jpg

Here's a Union Grove story for you. We were there for a Division 3 points meet, several years back. It must have been the early 90's. We had a new car about ready to go, but we were there with our old car. We qualified and the next day the cross winds were treacherous, so they postponed the race until 5 July. When we got the new car ready, we moved everything across to it and it was a much better (and LOTS faster) car. As July approached, the Division 3 Director (whose parents opened the Bunker Hill drag strip, back in the day) called to remind us the new car was not going to be allowed to come back for the postponed race. We had a race the weekend before, so we had to pull everything out of the new car and replace it in the old car. Friday was the 4th of July and some friends had a big party. All I really remember about the night was I spent it with Jose Cuervo, lighting fireworks. And, as you might know, ol' Jose got the best of me.

The next day, we had to leave to go back to the Grove. I woke up in my own bed (somehow) and immediately started begging to die. I managed to get out of bed and headed for the shower. I was sick before I got in the shower, whilst in the shower and after I got out. I was miserable. I managed to get dressed and down to the car. My route to the race car shop took me past the shop where I work and I realized I was going to be sick again. I got to the shop and ran around to the side of the building. I couldn't even manage to get the door unlocked to get inside, I was so sick. I got to the race car shop, parked my car and fell asleep. Brian came out to wake me up and also to inform me he was so bad off I was going to have to drive. :wub: I explained I wasn't even sure I could manage the 3 hour ride, let alone actually drive.

Of course, that made me a lowdown piece of dirt, so I crawled in the back seat of the truck and fell back asleep. I woke up as we were pulling onto I-65 and Brian asked if I was going to make it to the Grove. I told him to pull over. I mean I was s-i-c-k. I imagine I set a record as we went around Chicago on the expressway, as I managed to hurl my guts at every one of the toll booths. We got to the track and unloaded the car. I laid down in the trailer and went back to sleep. About an hour before first round, Brian's wife woke me up and managed to get some Gatorade in me. About 20 minutes later, I was back in fighting trim. We warmed the motor, I set the clutch and Brian redlit in the first round.

Lord, it was a wonderful holiday weekend drive back home that afternoon. :jawdrop: All the work to switch back to the old car was for naught.

I was a pretty good lad from there on out. Well, there was the celebration after qualifying low at the Nationals in '94, but that's another story. :nod:

Mike,
I'm stunned. I swear I heard there had been an accident. I'm also very pleased to hear these guys are alive and well. Do you know of an accident back in the early 60's in Texas (I think) that involved some racers?

ORF

I think that you might be thinking of Don Maynard, the Greeks partner. If I remember the story right, it was in the early 60's and he and another guy were on the way from Chicago to somewhere in the southwest (Phoenix maybe) with a new motor for the Greek. They had it loaded in the back of a station wagon. the preferred tow car in those days...no eighteen wheelers. Anyway, somewhere in Arizona or maybe New Mexico on a rather desolate highway, someone pulled out right in front of them and in trying to stop and avoid a collision the motor started sliding and tumbling and hit Don and killed him. Quite a lose as he was a very talented racer.

As far a Kenny Hirata, he was at Bowling Green a few weeks ago. The only reason that I know him is through selling his son a clutch grinder and delivering it to them at the first Joliet race. I talked to Phil Hobbs at the last Columbus PRI show and he was fine then. But that has been a few years now.

Jerry Baltes was at Bowling Green with the recreation of his CBL car. Here is a pic from there, that's Jerry in the green shirt. A truly beautiful car from an era that had many of that caliber.

HRR-1030.jpg

The guy in the Engle shirt is my buddy Don Cain. You might remember him from the Pusch & Cain Top Gas Dragster that won a Wally at Indy by putting the Train on the trailer in the final. He also shoed the Pusch & Cain Fuel Funny.

Not much elbow rubbing, just a few chance encounters.:)

George,

Thanks for the picture and update. I like the poster on the trailer.... Big Daddy from days gone bye.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back