Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What thermostat 180 or 160

OldredT

Who uses a 180 thermostat and who uses a 160 and what is the engine water temp with a 160? does it get hotter than 160 or does it stick around that?

Chad

Who uses a 180 thermostat and who uses a 160 and what is the engine water temp with a 160? does it get hotter than 160 or does it stick around that?

Chad

I've never found much use for a 160 thermostat. I use a 180 and my temps run about 180-190max. I used one briefly on another car ('68 Cougar) and it made virtually no difference--it still ran 200 degrees. If you're having overheating isuee, the cooler thermostat is no fix. Most engines will run and respond better when it runs hotter--200 deg range. I'm sure there might be a use for a 160 thermostat, but I don't now of one.

I don't run a thermostat, just a flow restricter.

My preference would be the 180. You want the internal temperature of the crankcase to be close to the boiling point of water (212*) to evaporate the nasties that build up in the oil (you DO have a PCV don't you?). As Ben says, our motors are supposedly more efficient in the 200-220 range (although that may have more to do with emissions than power). I'm running a 190 thermostat and my temp gauge is typically nailed at 200. Motor seems real happy there.

By the way, it's a good idea to drill a hole (1/16 to 1/8) in the flange of the 'stat to allow air to escape from the block when you fill the cooling system and to allow a little circulation on start-up.

I have tried a few over the years, now I do not run any, can run more lead this way, the cooler engine does not ping like a hotter engine will at the same timing setting... But now that I am not into performance, who knows? Bakersfield is very hot country. :) Never found any trace of water in my oil.

Thanks, I figured instead of splashing antifreeze allover the car changing thermostats, it would be easier to ask and see if anyone else tried what I was going to do, However Ben gave me the answer that I thought would happen, if the engine wants to run at 200 it will do it not matter what thermostat you put in.

I have tried a few over the years, now I do not run any, can run more lead this way, the cooler engine does not ping like a hotter engine will at the same timing setting... But now that I am not into performance, who knows? Bakersfield is very hot country. :) Never found any trace of water in my oil.

That is the same with me. I've found all the t-stat does is help the engine warm up quicker. Its going to run at whatever temp it wants once its warmed up. When I was in Vegas trying to keep it cool with a 125 outside temp, anything you can do helps.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back