Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wiring tips for the novice

cmcdanl

In my build thread we got to talking about different connectors, crimpers, and techniques and someone mentioned that we should make a thread here about it in order to help out others who are looking to wire a car them self. So I'll start it off. Feel free to add anything to this thread that you want. Links to connectors, wire, crimpers, tools etc... Maybe this can be a catch all thread.

A good source for all types of connectors and other things wiring is the website www.delcity.net

Weatherpack is a very good brand. They have all sorts of connectors and a lot of them are waterproof. Perfect for t buckets since a lot of our wiring is exposed to the elements. Here are a few items below that might make your wiring job a little easier.

Assembled pig tails:
Weather Pack Assembled Pigtails - 3-Way
These are pre assembled pig tails so there's no crimping involved and no assembly of the connector. These come in 1 wire, up to 6 wire. Another thing that will make these even easier is this....

Heat shrink and solder butt connectors:
Heat Shrink Solder Butt Connectors
With these, there's no need to solder the wires together and then apply shrink wrap. Slide this over your wires and use a micro torch to heat up the solder until it melts and then heat up the shrink wrap. All in one.

Here is a set of heat shrink solder butt connectors I bought on amazon. I haven't used them yet so I can't speak of their quality.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0EZBYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_LcWRybS3Z21BA

Connectors - Non assembled
For those of you who would rather assemble the connectors yourself, removing the need for butt connectors, these weather pack connectors are very nice. They also are available in 1 - 6 wire and can hold up to a 12 gauge wire.

Female Connector
Weather Pack Female Housing - 3-Way
Male Connector
Weather Pack Male Housing - 3-Way

If you are using these, you will also need the male and female terminals that pop into each connector.
Weather Pack Terminals - Female

You will need these cavity seals as well. This is the part that actually makes the connector waterproof.
Cavity Seals

You will also need a crimper. There are so many crimpers available but for these connectors I bought the weatherpack crimper that is $35 on that website. However I got it on amazon for much cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K006QS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_MmWRyb4WD9KNG

If you need connectors larger than 6 wires then here are some that I have found on amazon. Again, I have not used these so I can't say how good the quality is. These all come with everything needed to assemble the connectors.

8 wire connector kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FH5CGS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_jVARybN3R84Z9

10 wire connector kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMSGSQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_dWARybV2QK3RB

12 wire connector kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DIHEPZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_RSARyb2CYYHPA

Bulk Head Connector - 22 pin

I am using one of these 22 pin Weatherpack bulkhead connectors on my car for the firewall. Everything that routes outside of the car (lights, engine, fan, etc...) route through this connector on the firewall. This way if I ever need to remove the body from the frame, I don't have to detach and remove a bunch of wiring.

Weather Pack 22-Way Bulkhead Connector - Female

If you buy from that source, you will also have to purchase the male/female terminals and cavity seals separately. Also these TPA come locks.
Weather Pack 22-Way Bulkhead Connectors - TPA

It is not available as a kit as far as I know. Or you could buy a kit from somewhere like amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZSHYVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_aBWRybKEKHHEH

Here is a picture of the wires I'm running through my bulkhead connector. In this picture you can see how the terminals are crimped to the wire, and also how the cavity seals are crimped.

9EC3EBAC-7BBA-4FA2-B630-75DA9424D15D.jpg

Here's a picture that shows how the combs are inserted, locking the wires in place and preventing the cavity seals from coming out.

177668F0-B90F-464C-ADBF-F72F170B0EDE.jpg

The two parts of the connector separated:

E1E083BE-6D33-4F34-A011-6C546BB90DB7.jpg

And here they are together... They actually bolt together with a bolt right in the middle of the connector.

727015C7-82AE-486C-A268-E1E361F6F532.jpg

This will be bolted to my firewall. I will show a picture once that is done.

Relays are also very important. eBay is one source, also there are numerous variations available at salvage yards. I retain a stockpile of fuses, relays, etc every time I visit.

If you need connectors larger than 6 wires then here are some that I have found on amazon. Again, I have not used these so I can't say how good the quality is. These all come with everything needed to assemble the connectors.
Check the comments/questions on these. They take a special crimp tool.

TIP
: I solder all my crimps. Nothing worse than an intermittent connection or a wire that pulls out when you are on the freeway (it happened to me).
TIP: Love those butt connectors with shrink and solder inside. No iron needed, just hit them with a heat gun and you have a strong sealed connection.
TIP: Del City has fuses that light up when they blow. Very helpful since fuses always blow on a dark country road and you don't have a flashlight. I carry a box of assorted fuses.

I've seen someone say that a good way to run wires through the frame is to drill your two holes, put a vacuum on one hole and a string in the other. The vacuum will suck the string through the frame. Then you can tie the string to your wires and pull them through. Also tying something to the end of the string like a napkin will help give the vacuum something to pull. Make sure to put grommets over the drilled holes so that the sharp edges don't cut the wire. Also a good idea to wrap the wire in some kind of tape to prevent it from getting rubbed through and shorting out while inside the frame. I plan running some of my wires through the frame soon so I will document it.

A lot of good info and the pictures really help to see what you are talking about. I always wondered what the white spear things were for. I thought they were for stabbing the olives in your martini. I guess I was wrong. Thanks

Check the comments/questions on these. They take a special crimp tool.

TIP
: I solder all my crimps. Nothing worse than an intermittent connection or a wire that pulls out when you are on the freeway (it happened to me).
TIP: Love those butt connectors with shrink and solder inside. No iron needed, just hit them with a heat gun and you have a strong sealed connection.
TIP: Del City has fuses that light up when they blow. Very helpful since fuses always blow on a dark country road and you don't have a flashlight. I carry a box of assorted fuses.
Do you use an iron or flame? Sometimes the iron seems less than adequate for heavy wires and a connector.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back