Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Yella fella engine specs

Gerry

I knew I had this somewhere.

Dated 1989 I found it on my old PC.

For all the guys who have asked about the engine here are the specs as listed by GM

Gerry

ENGINE.

New GM 350 Chevy HO. Part no:10134338 This motor is offered by GM for off road and hot rod applications. All new parts are used to give maximum power with good reliability and low maintenance for a price of $3000. (Mid 1992)

BLOCK: Cast iron 4 bolt with 4" dia bores.

CRANK: Forged steel, one piece rear main seal, 3.48" stroke.

CON RODS. Heat treated, shot peened, forged steel with pressed pins. Pink colour code.

PISTONS: 9.81 compression, hypereutectic (high silicon) aluminium.

CAM: High perf hydraulic roller profile with 235 degree duration (at .050" tappet lift) and .480" max valve lift.

HEADS: Aluminium Corvette with 1.94" inlet valves, 1.5" exhaust valves, D shaped exhaust ports, 58cc chambers, angled spark plugs, screw in rocker arm studs, pushrod guideplated and raised rocker cover rails.

VALVE SPRINGS: Chrome silicon wire with damper (orange colour code).

DISTRIBUTOR:MSD Billet High energy ignition sustem with centrifugal advance. MSD 6 amp and blaster coil.

TIMING SET: Single roller heavy duty chain with steel crank pulley.

FLEX PLATE: 12.75" dia. Automatic trans flex-plate with 153 tooth ring gear.

STARTER: TCI Racing Starter No 351100. Chromed and machined. Mounting block anodized black to match the block colour.

SUMP: Chrome plated version of the stock sump with 1.25" section.

FRONT COVER: Chromed

PULLEY SET: Chromed

WATER PUMP: Short chromed version.

BOLTS: All external bolts Stainless Steel 12 point heads.

Gerry,

Did you mention one (of many) impressive features of your car? The EFI.

You'll probably make more power than I will with my 30 over 9:1 fresh rebuild SBC.

The plan is to run a 4.71 blower under driiven 17 or so percent for a little altitude compensation here at 8200'. That's if I ever get my blower drive worked out and bits built.

If I don't, it'll be a 4 bbl on the cheapest aluminuim manifold I can find.

It's just too cold to try to heat the garage these days, so here I am....... and headed back to that girl grabbing a beer. They're so cute when they're young.

LOL Gerry, Metric Deer... LOL I hope it doesn't get hit by a Mini Cooper.

Gerry,

Did you mention one (of many) impressive features of your car? The EFI.

You'll probably make more power than I will with my 30 over 9:1 fresh rebuild SBC.

The plan is to run a 4.71 blower under driiven 17 or so percent for a little altitude compensation here at 8200'. That's if I ever get my blower drive worked out and bits built.

If I don't, it'll be a 4 bbl on the cheapest aluminuim manifold I can find.

It's just too cold to try to heat the garage these days, so here I am....... and headed back to that girl grabbing a beer. They're so cute when they're young.

LOL Gerry, Metric Deer... LOL I hope it doesn't get hit by a Mini Cooper. If it did the Copper would be totaled

Did a bit of research on google and came up with this amongst a few other things, including a write up in Hot Rod mag which says its good for 400 plus HP with a little care.
The EFI according to Kinsler should pull it up to around the 420 mark. Ouchhh

From HR mag
GM's ZZZ 350 H.O. crate engine

Over-the-counter factory replacement engines have been available for decades, but when GM Performance Parts released the 350 high-output crate engine--dubbed the ZZZ for its block-stamped manufacturing code--back in 1989, it was not immediately obvious how big an impact the move would have on the speed-parts business. Never before was a purpose-built high-performance engine available with a factory warranty, a move that all of a sudden gave hot rodders a third alternative to freshening a stocker with a few bolt-ons or going the full-blown custom engine route. Originally released as PN 10134338 with aluminum cylinder heads similar to those used on the L98 Corvette engine, a Z28 high-rise dual-plane aluminum intake manifold, hypereutectic 9.8:1 pistons, forged crank and rods, and a single-pattern 235-degree hydraulic camshaft with 0.480-inch lift, the ZZZ was rated at 345 hp. Still available in revised form as the ZZ4, the original ZZZ led the factory charge into the aftermarket engine business and forced independent engine builders big and small to compete with lower-priced crate engines that carried more than a taillight warranty.--Matt King

also found this

...I have read that only 1200 or so were produced before the ZZ1 was released. The original ZZZ had zero offset piston pins and they were the first GM engine using the hypereutectic pistons and they RATTLED. Mine will scare you when it first fires up. As it warms up, the noise is reduced a lot............but you can still hear it. Mine had 50, 000 miles on it when I pulled it out ( hard miles too )
biggrin.gif
No problems.

ZZ1 had offset piston pins and a different hypereutectic formula.
ZZ2, ZZ3 and ZZ4 's all were revisions to the ZZZ. Dual pattern carb bases, EGR , less lopey camshafts, reduced height on the aluminum intakes (to clear Corvette hoods) and other things. The ZZ4 is rated at 355 Horsepower.

The ZZZ sounds the nastiest of the ZZ series crate engine IMHO

Seems like I have a bit of a rare beast without knowing it. The dyno sheet it came with had 357 BHP on it

Come on you engine guys.

Someone must have an opinion on this.
I would appreciate any opinions, comments. Especially about the rattly start up.

Gerry

Gerry,

I don't know squat about your specific engine, but I do know that a very common problem with the SBC is collapsed pistons from overheating. I have one that was overheated once, just once, when it boiled over because the water pump failed, and my wife didn't notice that the belt had departed. She did notice the steam on the windshield. We've put another 100k or so on that engine since then, but from that day forward, it has a really bad piston slap when cold, which almost disappears after it warms up, and oil splashes over the walls. I've heard of others with the same issue. I've also heard of some pistons that were installed with the pin offset reversed, (180 degrees out) which causes a terrible rattle. Or, maybe there is a mouse in your mouse motor! Worse thought yet is that maybe it's really a Ford, disg..., naw, that can't be...

Corley

Yes.....darn good motor......345 is conservative, too. Very easy to stepup to 450 range with a cam swap and tuning. Yes......that darn rattle is quite loud without that wristpin offset. Sorry guys, this past week setting up CNC's and fixing busted water pipes.....caught myself a nice cold though......
hq.gif

Yes.....darn good motor......345 is conservative, too. Very easy to stepup to 450 range with a cam swap and tuning. Yes......that darn rattle is quite loud without that wristpin offset. Sorry guys, this past week setting up CNC's and fixing busted water pipes.....caught myself a nice cold though......
hq.gif
See, he's been around, just busy. As Screamin' Metal said, A truly frightening amount of H.P. is just a cam change away (you could even use the old roller lifters) along with the F.I. You could put it in the Fiat and tune it while you finish the T . Any way one looks at it, it's just a cold lump with a lot of potential until it is used. Get to crackin' on the T and start driving.
There, that didn't hurt, did it?

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back