Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

zoomies

Welcome aboard! Now, most folks after they have had Zoomies, usually take them off. I am around racecar motors each and every day, I've spent my life around those things. Today, I am almost completely deaf because of them. Nobody used to wear hearing protection, so, its my own fault....a job hazzard.
They're loud and obnoxious, and the cops will be on ya like stink on crap, with their little decible meter.
They can be toned down some with the correct baffle or muffler. Most will be about 98-100 db , not real quiet....
Usually about -10 db is about all that they'll lower. I did see one guy have a small muffler on each pipe, and was decently quiet....but the guy put alot of work into them. They were from Drag Specialities, and were for the 2" muffled drag pipes. I remember well because I asked him about them
You want Zoomies, Talk to Randy Miller@ http://www.millerscustomheaders.com/

I would suggest you watch the BucketHead Bash video, or some other T 's on Youtube....and listen to the cars that have zoomies as compared to the roadster headers or lake pipes. I can't hear them very well, but the sound from the lake pipes appeals to me. A reallt strong mill with roadsters sounds good too.
But, its all up to you, its your car....

Sanderson probably has them pre-made if you're in a hurry. My wife's T-bucket has them with a baffle in each pipe. I don't care for the sound, but she likes the fact that there is no pipe to burn your leg on when you get out.

They are loud like straight pipes. The have become pretty popular the last few years but I don't care for them. I guess I am getting old.

I had Sanderson's zoomies on my ride and loved the looks and sound but they are just to loud for a Sunday drive. They are now attached to an engine that just sits in my garage so, I get to look at them and they are quiet! I am old!! Now when I leave the house the neighbor wave rather than hold their ears.:)

You can see from my avatar pikky, that I have had zoomies on my bucket. With a 540 cube big block and blower to quieten, they were pretty hopeless really. But I was after the fuel altered look and they helped that a lot. I also removed my "noisy" gear drive at the last rebuild and went for a double roller timing chain.

I now have a pair of muffled four into one headers that are still over the legal noise regulations. Fortunately, the police leave us "old folk" alone as long as we are not "acting like dicks" to quote one of them. I also have a policy of not taking my bucket out after dark too so my excessive noise is only during the day.

The excessive noise even from muffled zoomies gets real tiresome, real quickly. In my view, unless you are building an over the top fuel altered style bucket, you are better off to leave them for those with race cars.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back