Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

08 Ford diesel fuel mileage

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
My broter in law has an 08 Ford F-450 that they use to tow their race truck with. This truck got about 10.5 empty and 8.5 mpg towing. Last week we put a DPF delete kit on it and a programmer. The truck empty imediatley gets 22 mpg. They have not towed with it yet. They will test it next week.

The new diesels have a DPF on them Diesel Particulate Filter which is a giant exhaust filter, about 10" in diamater in the exhaust system in these trucks. When the filter gets stopped up the computer send it into Regeration mode. It dumps lots of fuel via the injectors and super heats this filter and burns off all the soot. Clean air but very poor mileage and less power.

Another case of a "better idea" gone bad. I'm waiting for the CNN breaking story of Ford being sold to Toyota or Honda or whomever. I'll just give a short sigh and change the channel to the cartoons.

I'm not sure that's going to happen real soon. After all, while we give Toyota credit for getting it right so often, they DID just announce the suspension of building the Tundra for at least 3 months, since the market dried up so fast.

On semis they had the same problem last year but they have most of the bugs out.Another problem if this happens while cruising down the road and you hit a hill it is using fuel for cleaning of this filter instead of power. This is basically an early catalytic converter for diesels. They had allot of problems with the early catalytic converters in the beginning plugging upon cars.

tfeverfred said:
Another case of a "better idea" gone bad. I'm waiting for the CNN breaking story of Ford being sold to Toyota or Honda or whomever. I'll just give a short sigh and change the channel to the cartoons.
You missed the Ted Koppel series on China, didn't you? The Chinese Ford factory is already geared up to produce vehicles for sale here in the States. Koppel pointed out to a Chinese Ford executive that Ford auto-workers would be screaming at their televisions and that Ford is an American company.

The Chinese gentleman corrected him, immediately, by saying that Ford is not an American company. It is a global company and we should remember global companies have no borders in a global community.

Why should Ford sell to anyone, when they can cut wages by over 90% and still sell vehicles? I doubt Dearborn will be a big sales community for them, however. :welcome:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back