Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

23 grill

saltgrassdrifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I got some polished stainless steel mesh that I want to put in a 23 fiberglass grill shell.I'm planning on using some #10 machine screws and glued the heads to the shell ,and then place the mesh in and use self locking nuts to hold it in place.Do you think that something like JB weld would bond to the fiberglass good enough? Thanks for any information

saltgrassdrifter said:
I got some polished stainless steel mesh that I want to put in a 23 fiberglass grill shell.I'm planning on using some #10 machine screws and glued the heads to the shell ,and then place the mesh in and use self locking nuts to hold it in place.Do you think that something like JB weld would bond to the fiberglass good enough? Thanks for any information

Sure, but make sure that you scuff up the inside of the grill shell (assuming it has a finish on it) and then proceed. Alternatavely, since JB is an epoxy, you would be better off using a polyester base resin with a thickening agent and then embed the machine screw heads with a couple of layers of 3/4 oz mat and resin to lock them in place.

Also, as a side note, be sure that the SS mesh is not too tightly woven or it may restrict air flow through the radiator and cause overheating issues.

Hello Saltgrassdrifter! I wouldn't use the JB weld, seems to stick at first, but will come loose after a little heat and vibration. I would recommend going to your local automotive paint supplier or online and buy a product called panel bond, or Corvette panel bond. Once it cures you will not pull it apart and is actually stronger than the fiberglass, more designed for what you are using it for than the JB weld. From what I understand it is used to assemble complete bodies without any mechanical fasteners and will not come loose and is used to attach all of the composite components in late model cars, may save you some headaches down the road and only have to do it once instead of everytime you turn around. Hope this helps, Eddie :cool:

This is how i did mine liquid nails. worked great.

rooster57 said:
This is how i did mine liquid nails. worked great.

Same here, Rooster. I used JB Weld right on the metal grill shell and had no problems.

Thanks, I have been tryin to come up with exactly that. I ordered the smaller mesh. Now I just have to figure out how to insert it into the shell, as my radiator is all one piece.

try welding the studs onto pieces of flatbar cut to size then lay them into the sides of your grill shell then glass in with a couple of layers of mat just make sure that you rough up the flat bar and make sure there is no oil or grease on them worked for me

Hey thanks for the flat bar idea I have six #10 carriage bolts glassed in but I'm still worried about viberation I think that I will use some flat bar and a piece 1/4 square stock welded along the bottom of it.Then place it along the bottom like you did for additional support .Thanks again for the info

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back