Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

23T car cover for outside show rain

icon14.png
making custom waterproof car cover? of what?

What's the best fabric or other stuff to use to do this?. Custom fitted Cover for 1923 T roadster.
Needs to be waterproof so if it rains at outdoor show,can cover it and keep inside dry,but pack/fold up and hide behind seat? Only plan on covering cowl/windshiald and cockpit,not motor.???​

Large plastic tarp and some bungy cords would do the trick. You could cover the whole car, run bungy cords underneath. Wind and rain-proof....and cheap compared to a custom made cover.

OK, here is a real "redneck" (read that cheap) way of doing what you want to have.

Pictured here is all that is needed. I'm sure the you'll have plenty of room to store it under your seat. It consists of a plastic drop cloth cut to size, some bungee cords and some pipe insolation to cushion the windshield from poking through the plastic drop cloth (if you have a curved top fully framed windshield frame this is not needed.) The bungees and the drop cloth are in 0ne gallon zip lock bags.

IMG_1592.jpg

From the next two pictures you can see that my car is not the "normal" or "Traditional" type of T but the principles are the same.

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

Here is the placement of the pipe insolation on the windshield frame.

IMG_1602.jpg

Here is the cover installed using four bungee cords.

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

I hope that this will help you design a "system" to protect you T. I can personally attest to the effectiveness of it on my ride. When you live in "sunny" Florida you can expect afternoon showers every afternoon for about 30 to 45 minutes every summer afternoon.

Jim

My dad has a nice one for his '27 from California Car covers. It is a breathable, but water-resistant material. It is custom fitted for '27 roadster, but I assume they will have a pattern for a '23 as well. Me, I'm kinda cheap (or is that frugal?), so I have a no-name one that works for cover, and I bring a tarp and bungee's for the evenings its parked outside on trips. The rest of the time, when its wet, I get wet. Good reason to use marine grade-vinyl and carpet on a T!

I carry the $2.00 painter's plastic drop cloths that come folded into a 8" x 8" x 1/2" square. One will work OK for a short shower at a car show and for the price is disposable, probably not enough help for those of you who live with "real" weather however.

My dad has a nice one for his '27 from California Car covers. It is a breathable, but water-resistant material. It is custom fitted for '27 roadster, but I assume they will have a pattern for a '23 as well. Me, I'm kinda cheap (or is that frugal?), so I have a no-name one that works for cover, and I bring a tarp and bungee's for the evenings its parked outside on trips. The rest of the time, when its wet, I get wet. Good reason to use marine grade-vinyl and carpet on a T!

I, too have an "el cheapo fits all" (size small) from Discount Auto that I use for overnight storage at shows. The one that I pictured is what I carry and use if caught at in unexpected shower and is what I believe "The Bat" out of hell was asking about.

Jim

I thought about getting one that just fits over the body like an old british car. I didn't want to spot all those snaps in the body.

I had a few of these "Cockpit Covers" , California Car Covers used to build them to specs. not sure if they still do, but they worked very well for nightime dew, light rain and wind. The cover has adjustable straps with formable ends. Keeps the interior from getting messed up and stores real small.

Exactly like that. I have a full cover from CCC but it is definitely not something you are going to stick under the seat.

And something I learned the hard way, make sure your headers are stone cold before you put any plastic cover over the car. More than once I have had to heat them back up and wipe the melted on plastic off with laquer thinner. Sounds very obvious, but when a rainstorm is approaching and you are rushing sometimes you forget to feel how hot the headers are.

Don

Don, I'm glad that you mentioned that as I forgot to do so. Getting melted plastic off headers can be a pain in the butt.

Jim

It sure is, Jim. The first time it happened I had a blue tarp that melted onto my JetHot coated headers. I let it cool, thinking it would just come off, no dice. So I got the headers hot and wiped them with a rag with laquer thinner on it (I was worried about the rag catching fire, but it didn't) and the plastic came right off.

Don

I never thought of getting them hot and THEN wiping with lacquer thinner. Thanks for the heads up, Don.

Jim

Well we used the Low$ EXjunk design ,Thanks,and works greats,but my son wants me now to sew a fancy one,so after looking at the high cost of waterproof fabric,it turned out less $ to jusy buy $40 small car cover from Amazon and use it as something to cut and resew to fit. When I get it done I'll post some pic's,tell then we're using EXJUNK's great low buck set up.

LOL, The wife and I took the bucket to the drive in move on night and it started raining pretty heavy, We did the same thing with plastic tarp over the rollbar and windshield, but it made the window fog up...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back