Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

24 T coupe

Keeper

Hopefully by Saturday night I will be the new owner of an all original 1924 T coupe. I will post pics once I am allowed to take them. The owner does not want pics of the land/stash posted until he has better control on access.

Last weekend I spent Easter Sunday and Monday digging through a stash of an old hoarder that had passed away. Included in his collection was an original 24 t coupe. It has been sitting outside for the last 40 years and all the glass was replaced with plywood (It was used as a bill board in the 1950's) so its in mild rough shape.

The car is complete from the wood spoke rims to the hand crank on the engine.

The current owner of the land is not a car guy, but does have an idea whats on the lot. (200 cars mostly huge 70's land yachts) but there are a few gems.

Now there are no immediate plans for this car other than "Buy it now before its gone" BUT

Long term plans will either be - restore it back to original (depends how bad off the frame is)

OR take one of the 43 flatheads on the lot and put that in. I was thinking, flathead, banjo rear (about 10 of them there) model a front end (few of these as well), wire rims (all over the place).

:D

Keeper said:
OR take one of the 43 flatheads on the lot and put that in. I was thinking, flathead, banjo rear (about 10 of them there) model a front end (few of these as well), wire rims (all over the place).:D

I like this plan the best!

WOO HOO! My 1000th post. :clap:

Im in New Zealand and I collected a 26 T coupe last weekend & took it home.

Was built as a street rod back in the 70s and its plastic. But it looks cool with a big rake and its rear tyres sticking out past the guards. It has a 302w and c4 and a Zephyr Mk4 rear end. The latter being what we used down here 30 years ago if we wanted a Jag bum, but didnt have the necessary funds.

All the best with your new project. Am looking forward to seeing your photos when you are able to post them.

cheers
Todd

if that's a complete car with correct numbers, i would have a huge problem desiding what to do with it. one of those flat motors would look really great in a bucket!

hmmm ... 1000 posts huh ..."the book of rooster" says, "man who posts 1000 times have sore something or other!":laff:

Ron

Youngster your quoting of the book of Rooster is undermining my ability to keep the flock in line ( Rooster chapter 1 verse 1) But still funny

lol So when can we get a copy of this "Book of Rooster"?

Yeah I will have to take a long hard look at it prior to tearing into anything. With the stash of parts/fenders/cowls etc that this guy has I could probably restore it without much issue.

Hopefully I can get some pics so you can see what I am talking about. I went out there Sunday looking for 23 windshield posts and spent the whole day just wandering around in awe.

I still have the first project to finish before I start another. I just could not pass this up :D

Hot Rod Todd said:
Im in New Zealand and I collected a 26 T coupe last weekend & took it home.

Was built as a street rod back in the 70s and its plastic. But it looks cool with a big rake and its rear tyres sticking out past the guards. It has a 302w and c4 and a Zephyr Mk4 rear end. The latter being what we used down here 30 years ago if we wanted a Jag bum, but didnt have the necessary funds.

All the best with your new project. Am looking forward to seeing your photos when you are able to post them.

cheers
Todd
Aha,so you got Lindsay Wins old Helrod did you?saw that in 02 at the NSRA Nats in Christchurch,was wearing the blown sbc,the one in his 26Tudor that he imported..Saw that at the Beach hop,nice car..:)
You must be running out of room in that shed of yours Toddy..

Keeper said:
...OR take one of the 43 flatheads on the lot and put that in. I was thinking, flathead, banjo rear (about 10 of them there) model a front end (few of these as well), wire rims (all over the place).

:D

Todd said:
I like this plan the best!

WOO HOO! My 1000th post. :clap:

Hot Rod Todd said:
Im with the other Todd. Restoring is boring

Your flathead & wires option is way cooler than a resto.

I agree, flathead, banjo rear, model a front end, wire rims would be a very cool build...

I have to tell ya, so far and I've yet to officially start and my new 25 model T, there are so many options and is such a different animal I'm finding it very interesting... Kind of like hot rodding back in the 30's or 50's... High compression Z heads, high flow intake and exhaust manifolds, different Cam options, Multi carb setups, even overhead valve conversions... modifying to use Model A cranks or even SBC cranks... the list is endless... I had no idea! of course it does help to have the T-bucket sitting there case I need a HP fix! :)

Well Todd, looks like you're officially a blowhard like me! :eek: (you're right... I shouldn't be insulting ya like that... :biggrin: )

Al...did you get the roadster home???

Ron

sounds like you've been doing some research Al. check out F.A.S.T. ...they are a branch of the MARCA. big on bangers. another one would be secrets of speed. lots of great info for these two sorces.

you mentioned multi carbs ... actually, you'll get more performance out of a single stromberg 81 or 97, or a holly 94. these carbs are designed to run 200 or so cu.in. displacement. two of them over carberates your engine. they do look purddy though.

if you do anything with the crankshaft, add counter-balances to it. best engine mod you can make to a banger even if you do nothing else. next best thing is the distributor. the atwater , and other after market ones are easy enough to find on e-bay. the stock T uses a magneto set up on the flywheel. the accessory ones are much easier to tune the engine with.

any mods you make to the engine are going to make it run hotter. you can also find aftermarket water pumps on e-bay that will help a lot with overheating.

have heard some great things about the Lions alum head. the over head convo's are cool but spendy. if your thinking about one, talk to the guys at sacramento ford parts. they can hook you up with H&H or some other banger guys. another option here is a '29 chevy head. you know someone who has two of those sittin on a shelf in his shop....lol

i envy you Al. your in for one hell of an adventure in the 4 banger world!!

Ron

there's tonsof info out there on those fabulous ford flat heads keeper. speed parts all over the place, both new and used. a modern flathead build will give you just as much reliablity as any other engine you can find. besides there ain't nothing as sweet in the world of hot rodding as the sound of a flathead starter when you push the start button. once you've heard it, you'll never forget it!!!!!!

Ron

Youngster said:
...sounds like you've been doing some research Al. check out F.A.S.T. ...they are a branch of the MARCA. big on bangers. another one would be secrets of speed. lots of great info for these two sorces...

Thanks! I'll follow up on that...

Youngster said:
...you mentioned multi carbs ... actually, you'll get more performance out of a single stromberg 81 or 97, or a holly 94. these carbs are designed to run 200 or so cu.in. displacement. two of them over carberates your engine. they do look purddy though.

From what I've seen so far, just a simple Holley NH or Kingston L4 is what most folks seem to be using, but I'm leaning to a Holly 94... some folks talking about this and have no clue what it is... so what exactly is a vaporizer?

Youngster said:
...if you do anything with the crankshaft, add counter-balances to it. best engine mod you can make to a banger even if you do nothing else. next best thing is the distributor. the atwater , and other after market ones are easy enough to find on e-bay. the stock T uses a magneto set up on the flywheel. the accessory ones are much easier to tune the engine with.

I think I'm going to go with alternator perhaps generator vs. the magneto setup... take a lot of weight off the flywheel... I've been looking at a electronic coil pack that goes into the original coil pack box... all electronic but keeps the stock look... definitely going to add water pump as like my bucket... I may be adding a heater! :eek:

Youngster said:
...any mods you make to the engine are going to make it run hotter. you can also find aftermarket water pumps on e-bay that will help a lot with overheating.

have heard some great things about the Lions alum head. the over head convo's are cool but spendy. if your thinking about one, talk to the guys at sacramento ford parts. they can hook you up with H&H or some other banger guys. another option here is a '29 chevy head. you know someone who has two of those sittin on a shelf in his shop....lol

Lang's has a counter balanced crank available, and going to talk to some local guys here... some use model A cranks, etc... I'm going to check into that 29 Chevy head... hadn't heard that conversion yet... Also been looking a new cam (280 grind) and external aux oil lines and aux brakes.

Also looking at the KC Warford Auxiliary Model "T" Transmission by Layne Machine Works, Inc. It adds four additional forward speeds, two reverse speeds and a true neutral position.

Yes, I haven't even got the car yet... huge learning curve but having fun playing with my wish list...
laugh.gif

OR take one of the 43 flatheads on the lot and put that in. I was thinking, flathead, banjo rear (about 10 of them there) model a front end (few of these as well), wire rims (all over the place).

Gee, I built a model of that car in about '66 or so!:)

the NH and the L4 are updraft carbs or vaporizers. the 94 is a down draft that mounts on top of the manifold as apposed to the underside. the 94 is a really simple carb and works very well here.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back