Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

27 minutes of joy

Gerry

I have just lifted this link from another 'place'.

[media]

Its just pure heaven. Probably the best 1/2 hour I have spent in the last few years. I love the bare bones trailer with white walls and especially the roll cage. Take a look and you will soon see why your 60 foot times matter so much. Lots of big names inc. Wally, Perterson etc etc.

Oh to be 17 again.
Hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Lots of old cars that would not meet the standard today but have a whole lifes story to tell. I wonder if they are still around?

gerry

Really nice video back in the day before me by 4 years but you had to get up to change the channel on your TV . Now you call the wife to find the remote. I think you will count less than a handful of beerguts in that whole video.:foottap:

I don't know about you guys, I did enjoy watching it but it made me feel old. I remember when blowers were front mounted.

Bob

I was at Great Bend Kansas in 1959 for the AHRA Nationals and Garlits showed up with a blower and ran a couple of passes. He then took off the blower and put back on his 6-2s and went quicker. That's how new blowers were then!

Oh for the good old days. Indy in the early 60's had as many as a hundred fuelers show up to try to make a 32 car field! Use the grenade to make the show. And not a corporate logo to be seen anywhere. At least that is how I remember it. :nod:

Back in the day, Indy was huge, because of the double points. Even in the late '60s, there would still be 60-70 Top Fuel cars showing up to try to qualify.

Today? It's just another 16 car field.

And people wonder where the magic went? As long as Glendora can see 16 cars showed up for a field, they're happy. I don't think they can see much beyond the Force compound in the pits, anyway.

Very cool :thumb:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back