Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

289 idles and sputters out when put in gear/reverse

rhycher

A few weeks ago I brought my bucket out of storage and took it out for a spin and got gas. It started well (battery tender) and ran great. I live in the Chicago area and it can change here quick and we were presented with 50's for a few weeks. When the weather broke here last week we decided to go out for a cruise and started her up with no issues. As I feathered down the choke it did not want to idle very well unless I babied the gas. When I put the car into reverse it sputtered and died. It seems like I can't keep the car running now at idle let alone slip it into gear. I am not all mechanically inclined when it some to engines and carbs so excuse my dumbness of maybe overlooking the obvious. I had the battery and alternator tested and they came out clean. I have a starter solenoid right off the battery and for $17 just replaced it. Last year I have my points distributor changed over to electronic ignition. My carb is a Weber on a mid rise Edelbrock manifold connected to a 289 punched out to a 302. All hoses seem to be tight and don't see any cracking or leaks. Even check out the vacuum line going to my FMX tranny. I do have an electric choke which I forgot to mention

Can anyone point out something I might have missed or to check . What is strange is it just ran great.

Thanks in advance.

My first thought was a case of ethanol gasoline. If you do not put green Stabil or similar additive in your stored gasoline it will absorb moisture and corrode parts of a carb and or fuel pump. If you pat the gas while the engine is dying the accel pump will put enough gas in the engine to keep it running. If that works and you cannot find any vacuum leaks, I would look into the carb first, then the fuel system.

I would guess Ethanol also. I have had good luck using seafoam in the tank it helps clean alot of deposits left behind.

Only reason I will scratch out gas being a problem is I drove the car about 2 weeks ago and filled it with fresh fuel.

My first thought was a case of ethanol gasoline. If you do not put green Stabil or similar additive in your stored gasoline it will absorb moisture and corrode parts of a carb and or fuel pump. If you pat the gas while the engine is dying the accel pump will put enough gas in the engine to keep it running. If that works and you cannot find any vacuum leaks, I would look into the carb first, then the fuel system.

Only reason I will scratch out gas being a problem is I drove the car about 2 weeks ago and filled it with fresh fuel.
Check the fuel pump

Could still be some water you are trying to burn.

Let us know what you find.

Had a similar problem last year. Check your fuel filter, mine was plugged after sitting all winter. unbeleivable what shows up when you slosh the fuel around the first run of the year.

Thanks for the feedback. I will check those items in the next day or two. Cruise Night season has started and it sucks not having her out on the road. Thankfully we have a second car to do the cruises in. Thanks everyone and will let you know.

Had a similar problem last year. Check your fuel filter, mine was plugged after sitting all winter. unbeleivable what shows up when you slosh the fuel around the first run of the year.

Sorry I haven't gotten back in some time. Work has been busy.
Had a friend of mine come over who was a little more savvy in general engine 101 that I am and we pulled the scoop and made sure that we had no leaks or anything obstructing the carb. We set the choke and closed the butterflies and started her up. He wanted to create a little suction just incase there was some crab in the fuel line or someplace else. After the engine idled down we set the idle screw so it was at a decent level. (900-950 RPM) I have a mild cam so it really kinda lopes. Nice sound too. Anyway.... We put the car in reverse and it stayed running. I was stunned. I was almost back peddaling with my buddy telling him it was not like this the other day. "welcome to hot rodding" was the reply. We let the car roll down the drive a little and put it into drive and let the engine pull itself back up without having to goose it. It did well.

Everyone seems to agree that it was one of the goof y things or something got a little gummy in the fuel system. I will be installing another inline fuel filter to help this from happening. Most of the T-bucket owners in this area have two installed in the Chicago area saying it has helped. I always run premium but don't know what might have done this.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion as they all came into play or considered. I was happy to have her running and even manged to put on my ceramic coated Sprint headers this past weekend so I am happy.

I was just wondering if you got your car running right.

I guess you could pay your bill by posting some pics. Like seeing some small block Ford Ts.

Ethanol gas is most likely the culprit if an engine sits for any extended amount of time it absorbs moisture.Try ethanol free gas you will get better mileage .
Ethanol free gas site.
pure gas

Whenever you set her up for winter, use some Stabil fuel stabilizer in your tank. Run your motor a little to get some into your carb or carbs. I always either 1., run the carb dry so it won't gum up, or, have it to where I can crank it every month at least once. Thats what I did with my old 421 SuperDuty Drag Catalina.
Drain the juice and try to refill with fresh. If still no luck, get a can of carb cleaner, spray just a small wiff into the carb as its trying to idle. If it smoothes out and idles up drastically....I'll say your carb probably went south. But don't overlook your fuel pump, filter, etc. Check all your vacuum lines also....

Whenever you set her up for winter, use some Stabil fuel stabilizer in your tank. Run your motor a little to get some into your carb or carbs. I always either 1., run the carb dry so it won't gum up, or, have it to where I can crank it every month at least once. Thats what I did with my old 421 SuperDuty Drag Catalina.
On all my own personal cars I have a fuel shutoff valve, for running them dry, especially when I want to pull them.
Sometimes, carbs just are quirky...........

Stabill is really good stuff, I put it anything I don't run often. I have it in my chain saw and it sit for two years and when I needed it it started right up. Any motor that will sit for more that a month will benefit from it.

All great ideas..... I own a 75 Stingray also and never had problems storing her over winters. Guess each car has it's own personality.
As requested... Her are a few photos including the new ceramic pipes.

modelt_1.jpg

modelt_3.jpg

modelt_4.jpg

I guess you could pay your bill by posting some pics. Like seeing some small block Ford Ts.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back