Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

In-line fuel filter

I just purchased a new in-line fuel filter for my t-bucket to replace the old filter that’s on it. This may be a dumb question, but when I remove the old in-line filter, how much gas will typically leak out? My t-bucket has a sbc 350 engine, with a Holley carb, and a mechanical fuel pump. It also has a 7 gallon gas tank. Thanks

Is the inline filter mounted above the level of your gas tank? If not, unless you can close the lines in and out of the pump (shut-off valves?) whatever is in the tank or the line leading to the carburetor is gonna come out. One trick is to pinch off the soft lines with a clamp or pair of vise grips. Or, if you move quickly put a plug in the fuel line until you reconnect it.

Is the inline filter mounted above the level of your gas tank? If not, unless you can close the lines in and out of the pump (shut-off valves?) whatever is in the tank or the line leading to the carburetor is gonna come out. One trick is to pinch off the soft lines with a clamp or pair of vise grips. Or, if you move quickly put a plug in the fuel line until you reconnect it.
Thanks for the reply! The gas tank is above the the filter.

How does your fuel line exit the tank? From the top or bottom? You can run your gas down or break the siphon action (if exiting from the top) by blowing some air into it (remove the fuel cap first). Nothing beats a good "Blood Letting" just have a good drain pan ready, and drain your fuel out, you can always pour it back in .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back