Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

3.73 rear end

thomas

I have a 8.8 Ford 3.73 rear end. I'm really not into drag racing on the street. I would rather have a nice cruiser. What would be a better gear for gas milage?

thomas:)

Thats the same rear end I have under my C-cab. same gears too. :cool:
is yours a limited slip?? the one I have is.
came out of a '91 Mustang LX.
I had it under my Coupe for about a year, it was alot of fun:D
what kinda tranny are you running?

Vance

Thomas

It really depends on your cam. If you've got a cam with a lot of duration, then you're probably not going to gain much by going to lower numerical gears. You'll make the car feel really "doggy" since these cams don't have a lot of low end torgue. Your mileage may actually go down, too, since you'll essentially be lugging the engine at low speed.

If you're running a fairly stock cam though, somewhere around 3.00 to 1 would be good for cruising.

I like RPM's solution. Go with overdrive and keep the 3.73's. Have your cake and eat it, too!!!:):lol:

Mike

I am running a 3.73 rear and 700r4 trans i do not use the lock up conveter 1500 rpms 55 mph. works for me :D

I have a C4, so going to a AOD is out of the question. I would have to move the trans mount about 3" back which would make my driveshaft even shorter. At 50 mph I'm reving 2000.

thomas:)

Wow: Thomas just think what my 4:11 will be winding out at. Hey -raining but I was going to tell you there was a rod show at Dario's on Ford rd. Got some more wiring done but need a hand putting the nylon shims in the steering column.

Thomas

I just did a quick check at Summit to see what ratios were available for an 8.8. 3.08 was the tallest set they offered. They would drop your 50 MPH revs to about 1650.

There may be lower numerical ratios available from other sources, but I wouldn't go any lower than 2.75 to 1.

Mike

I would stay with a 3.27 are a 3.55 ratio it would work with both fine but the 3.55 would give you better take off but would stay around 2200 to 2400 RPMS at cruise the 327 would put you more at 1800 to 1900. P.S. if you are looking for a gear IM me I have both new.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back