Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

4L80E to a th350? Need some help with the Flexplate!

Lucas1923t

Hi everyone, I started working on my T bucket again and I just got my trans back from the shop and discovered a little problem. I'm running a 1996 350 out of a one ton van that had a 4L80E hooked to it. I got rid of that trans and want to use the TH350 I just had rebuilt. The original flex plate from the old package has 6 holes for the converter. My trans guy gave me a standard chevy 350 torque converter with a three bolt setup. I'm trying to figure out what I need to make this work. Anyone ever run into this? I looked on the internet and some packages require a spacer??? The more I dig the more confused I get. Thanks for your Help!!!

Hi everyone, I started working on my T bucket again and I just got my trans back from the shop and discovered a little problem. I'm running a 1996 350 out of a one ton van that had a 4L80E hooked to it. I got rid of that trans and want to use the TH350 I just had rebuilt. The original flex plate from the old package has 6 holes for the converter. My trans guy gave me a standard chevy 350 torque converter with a three bolt setup. I'm trying to figure out what I need to make this work. Anyone ever run into this? I looked on the internet and some packages require a spacer??? The more I dig the more confused I get. Thanks for your Help!!!

A 1996 350 has a one piece rear main seal and you need a flex plate for a one piece rear main seal crankshaft. One piece rear main seal engines were first produced in1986 and TH350 production stopped in 1984. Maybe this will help

87 and up engines use two different part numbers for flexplates.

If you have a 168 tooth (larger diameter flexplate), ask for a Pioneer FRA-159
If you have a 153 tooth (smaller diameter flexplate), ask for a Pioneer FRA-160

This number will look up at most any parts store in the country.

The pn 159 is dual drilled for both converter bolt patterns. The pn 160 is not. You might have to get the larger dual pattern 168 tooth pn 159 and change your starter nosecone to one with a staggered bolt pattern.

Al

I think you will find that every other hole in the flywheel will line up with your converter. They only use 3 bolts.

If it'll line up like Ron said....then your good. If not, have the one standing by, as per Differen-T's info.
As long as it bolts to the motor, the converter bolts up, and the ring-gear engages the starer correctly, AND, is in balance, all should be good.
If everything else works, and all you need are the 3 converter bolt holes....they are symmetrical, so you could always drill them yourself without changing the balance....
Just slide your converter forward blue up the area with Dykem, put 3 short setscrews into the converter mounting pads and scribe around them. Then, all you have to do is remove it, centerpunch your holes an drill your holes.

Thanks for the reply's The original flywheel has 168 teeth with six holes. I tried lining up the holes on the one I have with the converter and they are off(Won't line up)....

I'm too lazy to go look, but B&M offers a flexplate to do the same thing. 20239, maybe? Check it to be sure. Differen T's suggestion will likely save you a bit of cash, as the Pioneer plate will be a bit easier on the pricetag.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back