Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

5.3 ls

old round fart

Got a chance at a 5.3 Chevy with injectors but no computer. Is that a can of worms I want to avoid? He wants $900.00. 80K miles, no starter, alt. but all else is there. Thanks.

Fart you can get new complete painless harness for about 400 bucks and the putor is 50 or so then you need a high pressure in tank fuel pump . add the o2 sensors and shazam. You need to make sure all the sensors are their if you can. Ive done this in TBI several times and it works great. Or just ditch the intake and go edelbrock carb and intake

Easy? no. doable. you bet. but I'd figure on a grand for harness, computer, and incedentals. you'll most likely need to swap the drive by wire throttle body for an earlier cable version. read this before you jump in with both feet:
LS swap guid for beginners - link

Russ

I picked mine up for 200 fully equiped all acc. plus starter at local recycle yard. Dwight

Got a chance at a 5.3 Chevy with injectors but no computer. Is that a can of worms I want to avoid? He wants $900.00. 80K miles, no starter, alt. but all else is there. Thanks.

There are kits to convert these to carburetors also. :)

Thanks for the info guys! Think I'll pass on this one but shop for a cheaper one. Like the idea of factory EFI and maybe a Bully upgrade. The old caddy motor in the coupe is to big to go under a hood and a/c brackets are not available!

Hi,
Wikipedia has lots of imformation on this series motors including horsepower and torque numbers,i didn't like these in the past because of the horse power per dollar # a yard motor changes everything, the factory computer included in the deal seems wize if there is room for it, full size trucks are rated at 20 MPG. With the ever increasing price of fuel a T could be a cheap cruise,trip car? This is a bit off topic but may interest some-take a look at the 5.3 build in the new hot rod magazine with turbo for $3250 (near 600 HP) including boneyard engine,They checked 5.3 prices in yards, depending on milage found $250 to $500 Paid $450 for theirs w/computer
Good hunting,
Keith Bowman

Always forget something---CRS----I bet Ron---RPM-----Can build one of his tanks for you that accepts the standard fuel pump from the yard?
Keith

The guy I got mine from races them in a stock car. With the carb setup, the right cam and heavier springs, he claims to dyno out close to 502 HP.
I know the 5.3 in my 2009 silverado come stock with 325 HP, with the fuel management system I have seen 35 mpg with the truck empty running 60 on 4 cyl.

I took a 525 mile trip over new years a year ago and averaged 22 mpg with the temps running avg of -7F.

Thanks Keith. Ron will get the nod for the tank. Tom, I got this car to tour in, so the mileage numbers you gave will seal the deal! Now to the shop to make a '32 frame fit a T!

You can get a F body oil pan that will give you 3" more clearance for the ls engine. I got the pan, oil pickup tube and dipstick. You can cut the dipstick and windage tray, see my build thread or I could post more pics there if needed.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back