Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

6" drop axle

mikesplumbing

Hey fellas!

Seems like a lot of people use a 4" drop in front, any of you use a 6" drop axle in front? Anybody have a photo of what that may look like compared to a 4"? It's hard to tell from photos in the gallery what type of front drop is being used.

Mike

Here is a picture of a 6" dropped axle that is on my son's '32. As you can see, it is really too close to the scrub line to be safe with my old 15" wheels that we are using for rollers to be safe but there will be a set of 17" wheels when it is finished.

09_22_07progress05.jpg

Jim

Sweet ride Jim!!!! I love it!!!

That baby is low though, I can see where a little larger wheel could bump that up. I'm going to try and get a hold of Ron and get some measurements for his 6" drop and other components and try and draw it out. Gotta like the low front ends!:lol:

Mike

Here are a couple pics my '27 (blue) next to Dad's 27 (red) to show you the difference between 4" and 6" drop axle. I have a 6" drop axle, hairpins, coilovers, with cross steering. Dad has a 4" drop axle with hairpins, coilovers, with rack and pinion.

If I was to do it over again, I'd probably stick to a 4" drop. I'm ok on the scrub line, but barely!

That's just what I was looking for Ben, thanks a lot! Based on the photos I better do a little research on that. Man, a 6" drop is quite a bit.

Mike

Remember it all about how you set your suspension up. I designed the chassis around that axle...I wanted it that low---If I had a 4" drop I would have set it up to be almost that low too... If you use a traditional T front set up with a perch and buggy spring it would be significantly different between the two. Our setups are a bit non-traditional...

I've really taken a liking to your ride, thanks for the photo! I'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with a 6" drop. I'm sure you know this but it's a handfull trying to match whats in my head to the parts and methods required to get there. It's coming though, slowly..... but it's coming.:D

Thanks again
Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back