Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

700R4 positioning

Could do a double door like on the extended cab trucks.

It would love something like that....that way I could leave the driver side intact, and preserve what little structural rigidity the body has...but I've not come up with a latching system. On the extended cab trucks they can latch into both the top and bottom of the opening.

Ok, sometimes I am way out in left field, but what if you took a sunroof mechanism and turn in sideways or take the slider mechanism from a minivan and make a slider out of the passenger side door. Just trying to think of things differently.

Actually, I've thought of doing a C cab quite a bit...or a box cab...or a mini depot hack.
I don't know that a C cab will help you a lot. I considered building one for the extra room, but after looking at and sitting in a couple, I changed my mind. The ones I looked at had a severe kick up in the floor to clear the Z in the frame and had no more (or less) leg room than a standard T roadster body. One I sat in had less hip room than my roadster!

I'm not saying it can't be made to work. Maybe some type of independent rear suspension will allow the frame and floor kick to be moved far enough back to gain room while keeping the stance and proportions correct.

Ok, sometimes I am way out in left field, but what if you took a sunroof mechanism and turn in sideways or take the slider mechanism from a minivan and make a slider out of the passenger side door. Just trying to think of things differently.

How would the tracks be configured? A widened door would be close to 30" long, and on the top there would be less than 15" front to back of body behind the door, and a good part of that would be laterally curved. Also, with the bobtail configuration I want, there would only be about 15" of slide length before the door would hit the rear axle.

I don't know that a C cab will help you a lot. I considered building one for the extra room, but after looking at and sitting in a couple, I changed my mind. The ones I looked at had a severe kick up in the floor to clear the Z in the frame and had no more (or less) leg room than a standard T roadster body. One I sat in had less hip room than my roadster!

I'm not saying it can't be made to work. Maybe some type of independent rear suspension will allow the frame and floor kick to be moved far enough back to gain room while keeping the stance and proportions correct.

Where the gain with the C Cab would be is in going with an early style that would have no doors and a higher seat than would be in a roadster...making getting out easier. The later door styled C Cab would have much less advantage.

The double door idea would work, though after closing, you would have to utilize a bolt type sliding bar to tie both the doors together after closing, no big deal. The Minivan sliding door thing depends on having a supported track both top and bottom. Could be done with a C-cab.....but making it look good is another manner altogether.....

Kinda like dressing up a Anvil, theres only just a few ways to do it....paint it withsome 'Un-Ugly Paint' or throw a towel over it

The double door idea would work, though after closing, you would have to utilize a bolt type sliding bar to tie both the doors together after closing, no big deal. The Minivan sliding door thing depends on having a supported track both top and bottom. Could be done with a C-cab.....but making it look good is another manner altogether.....

Kinda like dressing up a Anvil, theres only just a few ways to do it....paint it withsome 'Un-Ugly Paint' or throw a towel over it
I was thinking a slide bolt at the top and some kind of latch on both doors that would catch to the side of the seat riser frame <shrug>

Zandoz, that should the perfect solution to your problem. With the door closed the body looks unmodified to allow such super easy access.

Jim

Zandoz, that should the perfect solution to your problem. With the door closed the body looks unmodified to allow such super easy access.

Jim

I do like the way that is done, but for my purpose, I could not take the cutout near that far back. The bobtail layout I'm planning outs the rear edge of the bucket almost directly over the rear axle. The trailing edge of the existing door would be about a foot from the rear tire. This is why I got the crazy Lambo door idea....so the door could be wrapped around to the back and have no tire clearance issues. Who ever did that one did an excellent job.

A view of the proportions I'm planning would help...
pic1.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back