Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A steering question

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
On a spring behind front suspension, with 49-54 Chevy spindles, is it OK to set up cross steering with separate arms for the tie rod and drag link? If that is OK, would it be OK to run the tie rod in front of the king pin line, and the drag link behind?

With setting the frame as low as I hope for, with the typical common arm for tie rod and drag link behind the king pins, I'm running into all kinds of conflicts.

Your good as long as u keep ackermen good up front[ez with fliping chevy arms to outside bend front vs inside behind,but you can also lower/drop your arm behind

The small problem that i see with rods in front of axle they can get bent very easily. Quite a few do have this but have to be more careful.

On a spring behind front suspension, with 49-54 Chevy spindles, is it OK to set up cross steering with separate arms for the tie rod and drag link? If that is OK, would it be OK to run the tie rod in front of the king pin line, and the drag link behind?

With setting the frame as low as I hope for, with the typical common arm for tie rod and drag link behind the king pins, I'm running into all kinds of conflicts.

The answer to your question is YES. I have my car set up like that with proper Ackerman and everything works great. As for having the tie rod in front, if you can't see where it is in relation to what is in front of you then you should NOT be driving. It is NOT a bumper.

Jim

It is NOT a bumper.
X2

Ron

I forgot all about the Ackerman issues. Combing that with potential plowing issues in gravel makes me think I need to go in a different direction. I'm starting to think along the lines of a rack and pinion setup placed ahead of the radiator.

Ackerman is easily corrected by making new steering arms. Check the attached picture.

IMG_2991.jpg

Jim

Ackerman is easily corrected by making new steering arms. Check the attached picture.

IMG_2991.jpg

Jim

Nice neat setup all the way around! I wish I still had the facilities to be able to do much in the way of custom fabrication. this last hurrah project is going to be an off the rack endeavor for the most part. I find it really surprising that there are so few options out there for the Chevy spindles. The more I think about it, the more I think a rack and pinion set up would be the way to go. The only issue it creates (as far as I know) is that I'll have to move the radiator back a few inches...which will probably mean a corresponding few inches added to the wheelbase

IMG_2991.jpg

Jim

Jim, I keep coming back to your pic and coming up with questions. I'm considering going with Ford spindles, instead of the Chevy, and that solves the tie rod arm issue. In the pic, I'm assuming the lower rod in the picture is the tie rod. How did you run your drag link? What type of steering box/rack did you use, and where is it mount?

Thanks

Bill

Bill, I'm running a Vega box in a cross steer set up. This is a very stable set up with absolutely no bump steer.

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

Jim

Bill, I'm running a Vega box in a cross steer set up. This is a very stable set up with absolutely no bump steer.

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

Jim

Thanks Jim! I'm still missing a piece of the steering puzzle...the trailing steering arm. All of the leading tie rod arms, and all the cross-steer arms that I've found, come with the specification that they are to be mounted in the lower position. From your pics it appears that both the tie rod arms and the steering arm are all mounted in the lower position. How does that work?

Thanks

Bill

Bill, my set up steers effortlessly and with no problems. I am able to take my hands off the wheel at any speed and the car keeps going straight with no wandering. I could not ask for a better system.

Jim

Bill, my set up steers effortlessly and with no problems. I am able to take my hands off the wheel at any speed and the car keeps going straight with no wandering. I could not ask for a better system.

Jim

Sounds great! That is the target I'm aiming for. Do you have a pic of the passenger side tie rod and drag link arm?

I really appreciate all the help you're giving this pest of a newbie. Thanks again.

Sounds great! That is the target I'm aiming for. Do you have a pic of the passenger side tie rod and drag link arm?

I really appreciate all the help you're giving this pest of a newbie. Thanks again.

You are not being a pest, Bill. The type of questions that you are asking are exactly why this site is here. I hope that this picture will help answer your last question as it is the only one that I have on file. If you need something better, let me know and I'll take a better shot for you.

IMG_0671_2.jpg

Jim

You are not being a pest, Bill. The type of questions that you are asking are exactly why this site is here. I hope that this picture will help answer your last question as it is the only one that I have on file. If you need something better, let me know and I'll take a better shot for you.

IMG_0671_2.jpg

Jim

Thanks Jim. With a bit of extrapolation, it appears that your drag link and tie rod arms are one piece...correct? Are your arms "off the shelf" or are they custom made?

Now for some more general questions....

I know ideally the drag link and the tie rod should be parallel. How much of a problem is it if there is a bit of angle on the drag link?

How far below the spindle are the lower steering arm mounts?

How much space do I need to allow between the drag link and the frame, if the drag link is above the frame?

Bill

A lot of your front suspension needs to be set up before you can accurately answer these questions. It's a good idea to plan ahead but one little thing can cause a major change.

Ron

Bill, my steering arms are custom made and are 2" below the bottom of the spindle.As for keeping the drag link parallel with the tie rod, I accomplished that by "z-ing" the drag link. As for the space needed between the drag link and the frame, that all depends on the amount of travel of your suspension and that you'll have to figure out on your own build.

Jim

Bill, my steering arms are custom made and are 2" below the bottom of the spindle.As for keeping the drag link parallel with the tie rod, I accomplished that by "z-ing" the drag link. As for the space needed between the drag link and the frame, that all depends on the amount of travel of your suspension and that you'll have to figure out on your own build.

Jim

Z-ing the drag link ! <slaps forehead> Although it will not look the greatest where I have to put it ...just outside the radiator enough that it does not hit the side of the radiator on a right turn...it is a good solution.

Was having those custom steering arms made an expensive proposition?

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill

Z-ing the drag link ! <slaps forehead> Although it will not look the greatest where I have to put it ...just outside the radiator enough that it does not hit the side of the radiator on a right turn...it is a good solution.

Was having those custom steering arms made an expensive proposition?

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill

You may not have to "Z" your drag link like I did. I had to because my pitman arm is very low. As for the expense on the arms, all I can say is that it is nice to have a good friend who is a machinist as he made them for free.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back