Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Adhering stainless firewall to fiberglass body?

Rick: Ran into valve rocker problems and now a starter relay trouble. I jusst keep going like the Bunny.:D Thomas hopes to get the cop out to his house by Thurs. and plates Fri. We drove his yesterday.

Up from the dead.

Lee, did you run your stainless right to the firewall edge or leave it back an 1/8" or so?
Thats what I'm thinking, that way you don't have to be so precise carrying the firewall line. My body lines have some very minor iregularities.
It has been two years hows the silicone holding up?
Steve

There is a slight radius, maybe 1/8", on the transition from the vertical firewall to the horizontal lip where the hood would rest on the original T body. I ran the stainless to where that radius starts from vertical to horizontal. Makes a fairly smooth transition. I was very precise in making the template and double-checking and adjusting the print-out (except for the one little mistake I mentioned above). Still stuck on tight after two years and two thousand miles.

There is a slight radius, maybe 1/8", on the transition from the vertical firewall to the horizontal lip where the hood would rest on the original T body. I ran the stainless to where that radius starts from vertical to horizontal. Makes a fairly smooth transition. I was very precise in making the template and double-checking and adjusting the print-out (except for the one little mistake I mentioned above). Still stuck on tight after two years and two thousand miles.
I have to say I am surprised silicone held up to the challenge, Thanks for the info.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back