Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Air Compresser and Sherman Williams Base-coat Clear-coat

Hey Guys,

What is the smallest size air compresser can I use when painting? Has anyone use Sherman Williams Base-coat Clear-coat On their cars? Any pros and cons on their paints?

Thanks, T-Bucket Bob

I have no experience with Sherwin Williams, but as for the compressor, the bigger tank the better. You need volume to keep a steady pressure which is essential for a good paint job. You could probably get it done with a 30 gallon, but that would be pushing it. I have a 60 gallon and it worked great.

Keep an eye on craigslist. You can pick up a decent 60 gallon pretty cheap.

If you are only painting trim or maybe the chassis a 30 might be able to handle it, but you will do a lot of waiting for the compressor to catch up, and then be fighting hot air and water contamination in the tank.

I use a 60 gallon tank/compressor, that runs into a 20 gallon tank. I use a short hose from 20 gallon to paint gun, and have to use a long hose to reach from the 60 gallon to the 20. Long hoses lose to much volume for the gun by them selves. I keep the big tank at 130 pds, and regulate from the smaller tank.
Lee

the size and capacity or you air supply is dictated more by the gun you are going to use, not so much by the paint. you need to find out what the CFM requirements are for the gun and then get a compressor that will exceed that requirement, you will also loose some flow depending on the hoses and driers you use.

Consider a High Volume Low Pressure [HVLP] setup if you don't have a gun already. I bought one for $150 and it worked great. Changeable tips for different viscosity. Spayed epoxy primer and top coat. Earlex is the brand but there are others too. Came with gun, hose and compressor. Sort of looks like a reversed vacuum cleaner. Big diameter hose, lots of CFM at a low PSI. Can also be used to spray house and deck paint which made repainting the deck a lot easier. They say not to use it for spray tan products but I'll bet it would work for that too.

Sherwin Williams ultra 7 base clear is in my opinion top notch from my experience. My dad owned a body shop, I painted, and a good friend of mine was a Sherwin Williams and Ditzler trained painter, rep, and automotive paint store manager. You do not need a lot of air pressure as long as you use a hvlp gun. It only requires 20-25 psi to atomize the paint. if you use a siphon feed gun you will need about 40-60 psi, depending on the gun and viscosity of the paint. The hvlp is better for many reasons, mainly they use less material because they waste less and as a result, give a cleaner, better finish because they use less air to atomize the paint because the paint is gravity fed. You need clean, dry air. Use gravity to help and a in line filter. The best tip I can give if you have never sprayed base clear is: when applying the base coat, do not try to "paint" it, just get even colorfast coverage and an even "matt finish". The shiny finish comes from the clear coat. I learned to paint with acrylic enamel and that was the hardest lesson I had to learn when I started with base/clear. Also pay attention to the paint manufacturers fluid tip size requirements as well as temperature, humidity, and reducer requirements. One very nice feature of base/clear is that you can rework, repair it within a few hours of applying it if needed and it is relatively easy to repair and blend it if needed. And truth be told, most painters do need to do this more often that they like to admit.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back