Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Almost done

tenbears

I wanted to post my bucket close to getting done. Don't have long before I head south for the winter. Good Lord willing we will be going for a ride next summer. Many thanks to the Youngster for giving me advise on how to get started with the fifties look front suspension.
Mike90.jpg

Looking real good Mike. Stop by on your way south. The doors open my friend.

Ron

That is cool on so many levels! Love the color, stance, engine..... everything! Great job.

that is one nice ride where are the build pics? :wolf: :rolleyes:

Cool!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I wished I could have put more photos on but am not good at that, will have to do more reading. is there other flathead nuts on this site?
Mike

Flatheads are the nice classic look people argue ford or chevy but a flathead trumps all even us chevy fans for that classic look anyway.

Anyone have suggestions about foot feed? I have two carbs but only be using one carb now till I can find a matched pair. So the back carb is along for the ride now.
Mike

[quote name='50's Kid' timestamp='1316635453' post='139379']
Anyone have suggestions about foot feed? I have two carbs but only be using one carb now till I can find a matched pair. So the back carb is along for the ride now.
Mike
[/quote]
Mike,
My son and I are head first into a 51 Merc flathead. I have about 3 books and read anything I can find about them.
We should be going to the machine shop soon, valve seats and clean up the tops of the block. The water pumps came today. Going to start out with stock manifold, while looking for a 2X2. I welcome any tips or advise from your experience.

Thanks Putz for the link. Just want to get a ride now and can fine tune later. Railroad, you are fortunate to have a Merc. Are you putting it in a bucket? One thing I would have done different with my flathead is mount it an inch or so higher. Easier for making exhaust pipies. I try to make everything I can like when I was a kid and wanted everything but had no money. What transmission are you going to use? Are you going to use a mechanical fan? For intake manifold I talked a friend out of an Edmonds that I desired badly, thinking that was cool. If you are looking for an old aluminum intake, beware of stripped threads(main bolt for the generator or carb studs).Another consideration for the intake is if you are using a generator or an alternator, some old aluminum intakes with two carbs don't allow room for generator on top.
So glad to share what I can with people as the people on this site have been with me.I bought several books also on flatheads and came to the conclusion that their sole purpose of the book was to make money (duh). It is neat here to have so much advice and rebuttle on topics.

Hope to hear more from you. Mike

He has a 29 Tudor waiting on the flattie. We hope to run the T-5 transmission. I doubt we will run a generator and looking for optional mounting for the alt to keep the top end as clean as possible. I ordered a Mallory elec distributor from Bubba. I think he is supposed to get started on it this week. He sets the adv curve for the flathead, one less tuning issue. I would use an electric fan, but I think my son is more into the looks of the mechanical. Maybe we can add a small pusher fan that will not be noticeable. I still have to drill the block for the full flow oil filtration and clean out the throws on the crankshaft. I have to cut the face on half the valves to 30* for the intakes. The guy I ordered from sent all 45* valves, no biggy. Ditto on the books. After drilling the block, I think we will be ready for the machine shop, valve seats and cleaning up the top of the block. The engine was so clean on the inside, we were fortunate. The bearings could have been re used. The fork that holds the vavle guide in had fallen out on one valve and I think they stopped driving the truck it was in. The engine had a rebuild tag on it. Crank is 10/10 and the block was bored 60 over. Only a slight lip in one or two cylinders. The others are good, so we will just hone and put new rings in. The pistons are 4 ring. I have not decided whether to re use the oil pump or not. It looks like a new one, or rebuilt. I will check it out more.
I just bought a brace of motorcycle carbs (4) . They came off a Honda 550. I am doing some research on running motorcycle carbs on an auto engine. I think I can fab up a plate with some runners, but have to do a lot more research. I thought I would hit Mike up for info when I get further along. We are a little slow on getting finished on stuff, but I am trying to make sure I don't do all the work and buying.

The problem I had with a mechanical fan was it would have made my radiator higher than the firewall.my thoughts on the electric fan, it does a better job than the slow mechanical in slow traffic(car shows).I don't plan on putting the T where she she will overheat but the best plans don't always happen.
My flattie is out of a pampered 52 pickup and so far seems to run well with a little hesitation I am working on.
I heard an old fart like me at a car show saying a T5 is easy on a flathead, gears seem to be just right. Mine is hooked to a c4.
Mike

Mike, I got a free catalog at a show the other day, you may want to check them out, its called Flathead Jack, custom hi-performance flathead parts, he has a little bit of everything.

the web site is flatheadjack.com

Jerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back