Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

An interesting observation about us...

LumenAl

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants &children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags..

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running intothe bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-soundor CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chatrooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticksand tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did notpoke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't hadto learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

"With
hurricanes, tornadoes, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding,severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure thisis a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

So true, times are different now.

There were no covers on electrical outlets, usually by age 4 you figured out not to screw with the outlet. If you did and blackened the wall you got a healthy slap on the butt to drive home the point to leave it alone.

My Dad when he could contain himself would tell me boy you need an ass whoopin once a week just for the things i dont know about yet. A "time out" was what my 3 pack a day smokin dad took to catch his breath durring on of these ass whoopins. Dont get me started about these kids these days.

As an old friend use to tell me, He would just whip those kids every Monday morning till he was tired. They usually toed the line for the rest of the week.

George

True AL, very true.

I had a swing set that was solid STEEL! Not a piece of plastic in sight. Enough sharp edges to reach across the street. The seats alone were heavy enough to be a considered lethal weapon!

Had a chemistry set that had REAL chemicals in it.

Every boy in school had a pocket knife. The older boys in high school used to bring their guns to school in their trucks so that they could go hunting after school!!!!!!! A pair of nail clippers will get you expelled for the rest of the year now.

Kids grew up faster and more responsible back then. We learned to take care of ourselves. Parents jobs were much easier too.

Mike

i remember the day i learned how to whistle. we were at grandpa' house's. i came in the dining room whistling and he gave me a crack on the butt. he told my dad any kid that whistles is thinking of something dirty.

Ron

When I was a kid being kept inside was a punishment, today you send a kid outside and they act like they are being punished. You could lock most kids in a closet all summer long, and as long as they had their computer games with them they would never even ask to come out.....It just makes me sick.....tomorrows leaders? Not a comforting thought.

Martin said:
When I was a kid being kept inside was a punishment, today you send a kid outside and they act like they are being punished. You could lock most kids in a closet all summer long, and as long as they had their computer games with them they would never even ask to come out.....It just makes me sick.....tomorrows leaders? Not a comforting thought.
You can see that with obama he cant go anywhere with out his Black Berry

Youngster said:
any kid that whistles is thinking of something dirty.

Thats not true. I can think of a lot of dirty stuff without whistling.:whistle:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back