Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another Newbie Checking In

HammerHead

Hi all -

After a good deal of lurking and studying, I'm officially checking in. I'm down at the southern end of Illinois, 100 miles or so east of St. Louis.

For a long time I've wanted to take on a rebuild or hot rod project with my kids (Girls 7 & 12). Over the years, I've had a couple of friends that have picked up t-buckets. There's not much on the road that looks as awesome and fun as a bucket. I can't help but think it would be a great opportunity for my girls (and myself) to learn a lot.

With the kids in mind, I've been thinking about a 4-seater like the Wintec Roadster. Anybody out there had experience with this? Are there other options to consider for a 4-seater? We'll probably just stick with a Chevy 350 for simplicity and parts availability.

As we progress on this, I know we'll have questions out the wazoo. I'll try not to be too much of a pest. In the meantime, I'm studying the $3000 Roadster book. Are there any other books or manuals that anyone can recommend?

I've already learned a lot from this site. Everyone seems eager and willing to help each other out. Maybe we'll see a day when I can contribute something.

See ya!

Speedway sells several books that may help you. Their Track-T Instruction Manual covers building a car from their kit is one and the price is refundable if you buy a kit from them. I don't know how good the manual is but I'm guessing there will be a lot of good information in it. They also sell How to Build a Cheap Hot Rod. I have this book and it is pretty good. Both books cover the building of a 27 roadster and not a T Bucket but the information readily translates to a T Bucket build. Speedway also has the T-Bucket Manual that pertains to the Total Performance kit, which Speedway now owns.

Amazon.com is also a good source for books. The prices are usually cheaper than other sources and the customer reviews are very helpful in making a decision on which book(s) to buy. I bought the 'Cheap Hot Rod' book from them. Just enter "how to build a hot rod" or "how to build a T Bucket" in their search engine and a list of titles should pop up. The more knowledge you can gain before you start a build the easier the experience will be.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois, I'm just west of Chicago.

Welcome :spank: How much of your project are you wanting to do yourself, such as are you welding up your own frame, getting one from a supplier?

Thanks for all the welcomes.

der Spieler - Thanks for the book titles. I agree, Amazon is great. Right now studying Youngster's plans and Chester's e-book.

Bruce - I'd like to do as much as possible myself. The whole idea came out of wanting to do an engine rebuild and needing something to put it in. I've done a fair amount of welding, but nothing as critical as an automobile frame. I'd like to start a frame myself and see how it goes - but be willing to back out an order one built if necessary. Looks like most frames are coming out of 1-1/2 X 3 tubing. I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to go with 2 X 3, considering the additional weight to be carried with a 4 seater. Any thoughts??

Also - what kind of tractor is in your avatar? Wheels remind me of a Massey-Ferguson, but can't make it out. I've got a MF135 diesel. Wonderful machine.

Later.....

For building your own frame, Youngster on here has a good set of plans to use.

As for the tractor it is a 1955 Ferguson TO35. I use it for a lawnmower. Here is a bigger pic.

Emily21310003.jpg

Looks like most frames are coming out of 1-1/2 X 3 tubing. I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to go with 2 X 3, considering the additional weight to be carried with a 4 seater. Any thoughts??

I recommend 2"x3"x3/16" for the frame. A little more beef and the thickness allows you to tap the frame form brake lines, clips, and such.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back