Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another radiator/grill shell issues

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I recently got a rather unusual 1920s shell that I would like to use for my build. Think a more rounded version of a 1927 T shell. The shell is about 26" tall, 22" wide, and 5" deep. I would like to avoid cutting off the bottom of the shell, as is frequently done when using a 32 shell. To do that I will need the lower part of the shell to hang down in front of the axle like the blue '32 picture below...or the shell to extend down between the axle and the front crossmember like the '27 modified pic below...kind of like an apron.
The first question/issue is how much space do I need between the axle and the shell apron? The second issue is what is the minimum apron thickness I can get buy with. That blue '32 pic does not look to be more than an inch or so thick. The shell I have is VERY heavy steel.grill example 1.JPGJim Stroupe modified 1.jpg
Any thoughts on which would be the better option...in front of or behind the axle?

I don't think you should need much room between them. If your axle has already be set up so you know you won't have to move it forward it should never touch the back side. Just make sure you give enough height clearance for up and down travel. I doubt if mine ever move vertically over 1 inch. In fact, my tie rod has only 3/4 inch room under the frame, and it has never hit. I know this because all the paint is still unmarked.
I am diggin that bucket in the lower photo.
Lee

I don't think you should need much room between them. If your axle has already be set up so you know you won't have to move it forward it should never touch the back side. Just make sure you give enough height clearance for up and down travel. I doubt if mine ever move vertically over 1 inch. In fact, my tie rod has only 3/4 inch room under the frame, and it has never hit. I know this because all the paint is still unmarked.
I am diggin that bucket in the lower photo.
Lee

I don't know if it matters, but I will be using a 4-Bar set up with a mono-leaf spring above the axle, instead of the typical T bucket radius rod and spring behind configuration. Once the spring perch is welded to the crossmember, I don't see much need to move it...assuming I can determine the clearance needed beforehand.

I really like that pic to. I even had it as my desktop image for a long time. It's kinda/sotra the look I'm going for, except I'll be using a stretched and widened 23 bucket.

If your 4 bar mounts are 9o degrees to level with the frame when mounted, the axle will never get closer to the grill. If it like the bucket, just with 4 bars, I see no problem.
Lee

Zandoz: I have a narrowed '28 A shell on my '27 and its set up pretty similar to the blue '32 in the first pic. I probably have 2-1/2" of clearance from the top of the axle to the shell. I only have about an inch or so of the thickness where is passes in front of the axle. I've not have any clearance issues with this in over 12K miles. My shell is fiberglass, and I suspect that steel will be even stronger.

My dad's '27 has a chopped '32 grill and is notched at the bottom as well.

Zandoz: I have a narrowed '28 A shell on my '27 and its set up pretty similar to the blue '32 in the first pic. I probably have 2-1/2" of clearance from the top of the axle to the shell. I only have about an inch or so of the thickness where is passes in front of the axle. I've not have any clearance issues with this in over 12K miles. My shell is fiberglass, and I suspect that steel will be even stronger.

My dad's '27 has a chopped '32 grill and is notched at the bottom as well.

That is almost exactly what I was thinking. How much space do you have between the back of the shell and the front of the axle

Maybe an inch of clearance... My radiator sits above the axle and there is a blank off plate that covers the open area of the grille shell below it.

Maybe an inch of clearance... My radiator sits above the axle and there is a blank off plate that covers the open area of the grille shell below it.

My radiator will be about an inch behind the front crossmember...which means there will be a 3" or so gap between the back of the shell and the front of the radiator. I'm afraid that is going to look odd unless I go with a hood. If I move the shell back so that the shell "apron" is between the axle and the crossmember, the gap issue is solved but the crossmember will be right up against the back of the grill screen...and I'm not sure if I like that either :unsure:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back