Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another step closer

Mike

As most of you know, I prefer to use a Linux operating system, rather than Windows or OS X.

This particular machine has almost always been a dual boot machine, from the day it was new. It's had several different flavors of Ubuntu on it, Linux Mint and Linux Mint Debian Edition, in addition to Windows XP. In the last couple years, I don't think this machine has been booted into Windows XP three times. I made the decision I was going to use Linux and Linux applications to do what I needed to do.

I've been running Linux Mint 11 Katya on the other half of the drive, after miserably crashing a Linux Mint Debian Edition install. I loves me some Linux Mint 11, but I've been missing LMDE. I'm not happy unless I'm on the bleeding edge with my Linux install and with most distros, that means a fresh install every 6 months. I liked LMDE, because it was a rolling release, meaning that if something new was developed today, it was moved into the repositories and downloaded. In other words, with every download from the repos, LMDE was brand-new. Unfortunately, this machine choked on a kernel upgrade and crashed. That's the cost of living on the bleeding edge.

Yesterday, I realized I never use Windows XP any more and decided to dump it off this machine. I considered giving Mint 11 the entire drive, but instead decided it was time to really run Debian. I've always wanted to run Debian, because Ian Murdock wrote the Debian Manifesto when he was a student, here at Purdue. Debian is now developing CUT, a Constantly Usable Testing version, which would be similar to rolling releases, only it would roll until a new milestone, Stable release and then CUT would become CUT again, rolling toward the next milestone.

What I have done is downloaded a CUT milestone, which I will be able to continuously upgrade with a simple terminal command, once a day or once a week. It won't be quite as edgy as Debian Testing, in that the testing will already be done, but it will be more up-to-date than the latest 2 year release of Debian Stable. The part I like is that all upgrades to CUT will be tested to ensure they will run as expected.

To that end, they are starting CUT with Monthly Testing Snapshots and that is what I have installed. Which means this machine still dual boots, but now it dual boots two versions of Linux, rather than Linux and Windows.

After nearly 24 hours, the machine seems perfectly stable and Debian flies with the wind. XP seemed fast on this machine until I first ran Ubuntu. And Linux Mint would really zoom, by comparison. But Debian is almost that much faster again. If any of you are running Linux and want a hyper-speed version, I cannot recommend Debian any more strongly. I'm not ready to ditch Linux Mint by any means, but since installing CUT, that's the only operating system I've used. I mean this stuff really rocks.

Boy, that's old news already. I decided I liked Debian enough, I wiped CUT off the hard drive and went ahead and installed Debian Wheezy, the current Testing version. I just wasn't able to enjoy running an operating system that was nearly a month old. Now, I'm back to weekly updates.

I wonder how long this will last before I have it set afire, broken into a zillion pieces and am moving back to something safer? :rofl:

I'm sorely tempted to stick Wheezy on my Win 7 box, to do some testing there. I'm telling you, Debian flat-out screams, it's so fast.

I'm with you on Linux! I used to run Windows XP and Internet Explorer until my son and one of his friends turned me on to Linux Ubuntu-I now use that with Firefox and the computer runs better and faster than ever! :hooray:

It's amazing how well and how fast it runs, isn't it?

I don't game, so at the time, the article meant nothing to me. And I don't have any of the specific details at hand. But I recently read an article where a heavy gamer had done some testing between Windows and Debian. He ran some benchmark tests with a game in Windows. Then he booted into Debian and ran the same tests on the game, running the game in a Virtual Machine emulator environment. The game actually ran faster in the VM than it did running in native Windows. Debian can run an emulator that looks like Windows and can run that emulator package faster than Windows can run itself? What does that tell you?

Mike: Although I don't understand a word you're saying about the computers, I thank you for the site. Butch

I got a Wyse mini-term in the schwag at the annual sales meeting/retreat for my new job. It has embedded XP on a 2GB SSD. My little project is to take what is essentially a netbook with a seriously crippled OS and build a LINUX micro-laptop.

ATOM processor, 2GB of RAM and a 60GB or so SSD in place of the one that's in there now.

I just need to pick up the SSD, pick a flavor of LINUX and get on with it. I think it will be pretty useful, certainly more so than it is right now...

Just my idea of "fun".

Sounds like a fun project to me. You've room for a full Linux distro, leaving space to grow. You could always use an Xfce desktop environment which would leave more room for data, but you likely won't need it. I've been using Linux for quite some time and my Mint partition is less than 14 GB in size. That's the OS and all my data. I get a little picture heavy at times, but I don't save or keep things that are not important to me and it keeps things fairly compact.

Let me know how the project goes for you.

Let me know how the project goes for you.

I took the first couple steps this morning. Grabbed a download of Mint11-Xfce and ordered a 60GB SSD. Somehow I don't think the storage device will offer nuch of a bottleneck @ 55k IOPS/sec and sub-microsec latency.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back