Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Taking a poll . . .

Spanky

Staff member
(One of the members of the NTBA posted this question on fb. I thought it would be interesting to hear some stories from you guys.)

What was the first T bucket you actually got a ride in?
I had seen several, but never got a ride in one until a friend of mine showed up with one after my freshman year in college in 1971. He was an inveterate car trader, always showing up with something new. I don't know where he got the T bucket. It was red, with a turtle deck and a Buick nailhead. It also had a steering wheel with a section cut out like a bomber yoke, which was handy for sliding over into the driver's seat. Don't think I've ever seen another one like that.
He offered to sell me the car for $575. Might was well have been $575,000. I was working all the hours I could and saving for my next year of college (which, at that time, cost $2200, tuition, room, and board).

Turtrle deck.jpg

Never ridden or driven a T Bucket. However first rides are a big deal. When I was about 12 my mom's cousin showed up in Triumph TR3. What a ride with your butt about 8 inches from the ground, wind, and noise. I bought one when I turned 18 wish I still had it. When I was about 10 my Dad took me for a ride on a Harley. Check this story out he and another guy owned a salvage yard. The guy broke down in White House on the Harley and my dad got the Harley for a bus ticket to Louisville. When I turned 21 bought my 1st motorcycle. I rode until I turned 62 and owned a couple of Harleys and one of the new Indians.
So when you take some kid for a ride you never know what the result will be in the future.

My first ride was in my own t. In 1969 I decided to build a car. I bought a stick of 2 1/2” 4130x 1/4” wall tube had it cut in half and hauled it home in my ‘63 Super Sport Chevy. I had never even seen a bucket in person and I was hanging around Pete Robinsons shop so it had to look like a front engine dragster. Two years later my orange car was born.

Mine with no functioning brakes. Not a great ride, but what’s not to like about a 427 bbc with a 4 speed and a spooled rear end? I’ve always been a big engine/small car guy, so it was just a continuation. I started building go carts with the biggest motor I could figure out how to attach in third grade, then motorcycle engines, then on to garden tractors with trick gearing... that was after too many rides home in the sheriffs car with the go cart in tow. My dad taught me that a slow moving vehicle sign on a “lawn mower” was legal.... Right on about influencing youth. My favorite uncle had a ‘67 sport fury with a 426/4speed that I “drove” while standing on his lap and ramping the hills on St Rt 158 prior to him being shipped off to Nam, then my dads body shop and seemingly every cool person I looked up to had bikes, fast cars, etc... the era growing up in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s.

Great question!
First time ever even seeing one was when my late husband Ted told me he wanted to buy a car... not just any car, but a t-bucket! He showed me a pic, and I asked him how much, and as they say the rest is history.

Yes we went over budget (way over budget), but I wouldn't change our decision to buy that run down piece of junk and turn it into the beautiful bucket I still drive to this day. If we hadn't made that decision I would never have met any of this wonderful bucket family.

Jan I am sure glad you two bought the bucket and came down to the USA so we could meet up close and personal.....Merry Christmas to you and yours..........Maybe we will meet you and your new husband someday at another run......

I've never actually driven one. I've seen them & heard them in videos & real life. i actually sat in one that belonged to one of Leroy's customers. That experience happened more than 5 years ago.

I live by a 4 way intersection. I saw a yellow one do a u turn at the intersection. I suddenly became like a kid at Disneyland, It's the same feeling a person gets when his favorite football team wins the superbowl .

Jan I am sure glad you two bought the bucket and came down to the USA so we could meet up close and personal.....Merry Christmas to you and yours..........Maybe we will meet you and your new husband someday at another run......

Hope you had a Merry Christmas too. Hope to get back to an event to see you and the rest of the bucket family again as well.

Last edited:
(One of the members of the NTBA posted this question on fb. I thought it would be interesting to hear some stories from you guys.)

What was the first T bucket you actually got a ride in?
I had seen several, but never got a ride in one until a friend of mine showed up with one after my freshman year in college in 1971. He was an inveterate car trader, always showing up with something new. I don't know where he got the T bucket. It was red, with a turtle deck and a Buick nailhead. It also had a steering wheel with a section cut out like a bomber yoke, which was handy for sliding over into the driver's seat. Don't think I've ever seen another one like that.
He offered to sell me the car for $575. Might was well have been $575,000. I was working all the hours I could and saving for my next year of college (which, at that time, cost $2200, tuition, room, and board).

View attachment 24663
That’s a very interesting question, and one that hits very close to home as we speak.. I am a motorcycle guy and I have stopped at so many car shows over my lifetime and have drooled over all the hot rods.. but it’s always been the magical mysterious t buckets that I just could never get enough of. I always thought that maybe one day life would slow down, and I would have an opportunity to own one of these fabulous machines. So, when was my first ride? exactly 3 days ago.. I decided to go and look at a bucket that was advertised for sale. I sat in a T bucket seat for the very first time in my life. I took the t bucket for a 10 minute test ride. And I was completely hooked and obsessed.. I decided I was not leaving there until I owned that bucket. Fast-forward 72 hours all the financials out-of-the-way. I drove that bucket home. Two hours away and I can honestly say I have never had more fun driving any machine or motorcycle in my life… I hope there’s a cure for bucket -itis because I have it bad…

That’s a very interesting question, and one that hits very close to home as we speak.. I am a motorcycle guy and I have stopped at so many car shows over my lifetime and have drooled over all the hot rods.. but it’s always been the magical mysterious t buckets that I just could never get enough of. I always thought that maybe one day life would slow down, and I would have an opportunity to own one of these fabulous machines. So, when was my first ride? exactly 3 days ago.. I decided to go and look at a bucket that was advertised for sale. I sat in a T bucket seat for the very first time in my life. I took the t bucket for a 10 minute test ride. And I was completely hooked and obsessed.. I decided I was not leaving there until I owned that bucket. Fast-forward 72 hours all the financials out-of-the-way. I drove that bucket home. Two hours away and I can honestly say I have never had more fun driving any machine or motorcycle in my life… I hope there’s a cure for bucket -itis because I have it bad…
Wow, good for you that is awesome! Congrats!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back