Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anybody use a toyota PU rear axle?

bigblk1177

Got a pretty good deal today on three S-10 rears, a couple ford ranger rears, short tail th 400 and 1978 ford 351 windsor running. The guy asked if Toyota PU rears would work? Anyhows it was a freebie thrown in as" deal closer" with some turbo 350 drive shafts. So anybody use one?

I havent used one in any of my projects but know of a few who have. Good, strong and very cheap.

I first got interested in them after reading an article in an Australian hot rod magazine about a guy who built a blown SBC Holden woody. He put the car onto a Toyota HiLux 2wd chassis as it made the registration a lot easier.

In the article (sorry I couldnt find it thru google) the builder commented that the axles were 31 spline and at least as strong as the 31 spline Ford axle that everyone went looking for, but at give away prices. Apparently, the only issue was that there werent too many gear ratios available. But with overdrive autos that wouldnt be a problem anymore.

The woody was bright yellow, so maybe you will be more successful tracking down the original article on google that I had..

Got a pretty good deal today on three S-10 rears, a couple ford ranger rears, short tail th 400 and 1978 ford 351 windsor running. The guy asked if Toyota PU rears would work? Anyhows it was a freebie thrown in as" deal closer" with some turbo 350 drive shafts. So anybody use one?
Just got thru using a Toyota motor/trans w/rear building a trike. Good components, light, very powerful, rugged, will take alot of punishment. Thing is so fast its freaky!

THANKS Guys I also done a little asking around today may have been a good score as you say. Would love to see a pic of the trike screaming metal. Thanks again ALABAMA ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!

The motor intake and carb is under the tank, the seat pratically sits in top of the bellhousing area, the yoke coming out of the trans has aspicer cross, then bolts to the rearends flange. Theres no suspension, the motor/trans/rear is all mounted rigid framed, has super wide 50's on the rear, thing has a extended harley frontend sticking out there. Radiator mounted in the rear with twin electric fans.

I just gotta do it.... Ya know how everybody in Bama is....here goes....WAR DAMN EAGLE! Hahaha!

If you notice my avatar is an old '60s front engine dragster. I know about sitting on top or right behind rear axle with legs over the axle tubes and 14 inch wide slicks at finger tips. war eagle & ROLL TIDE. Wife is an auburn nut. Life will get a little weird here in a few weeks

If you notice my avatar is an old '60s front engine dragster. I know about sitting on top or right behind rear axle with legs over the axle tubes and 14 inch wide slicks at finger tips. war eagle & ROLL TIDE. Wife is an auburn nut. Life will get a little weird here in a few weeks
Yep, you had to have stones to drive those things.....smoke the tire off the line, then they'd stop spinning about midtrack then start hooking up....or they'd stand straight up, hahaha. Very few choices in between.

2wd Toyotas rears are offset and I think the most common gears are 4.33. Other than that, good axles. I had one in my Rambler. People also have shortened them using 2 short side axles.

yep, they are very strong. A lot of guys use them in dirt speedway type racing here also.,
A friend in town here friend does a conversion using Hi Lux axles as they are 33 spline? and go right into a 12 bolt Chev side gear He narrows up an Impala 12 bolt and uses the complete Hi Lux bearing housings etc welded on to the 12 bolt axle tubes and they come out about 58'' wide , perfect for a 55-57 Chev. (Sort of what you have to do down under, where aftermarket axles cost about $900 by the time they get here) Hi Lux's are Ford bolt pattern too, another bonus. .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back