Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anyone dyno'ed their ride?

GT63 organized a dyno day for one of our meetings. For most of us, it was a humbling experience. Of course, my engine is almost bone stock, so the 209 it made didn't upset me too much. And I had them cut it off a little low; I don't have that much faith in it, really!

I have thought about getting a dyno reading after I finish my 27T. But, reason seems to kick in and I realize that spending the money just to know a number is not buying me anything. I'll probably be dissappointed because the number will be lower than I anticipated. We hear that a lot from others. Hoping to see 350 HP and only getting a reading of 295 or something. For me, the best "Dyno" will be my and the car's rear-end. If I'm pressed real hard in the seat and the tires smoke real good, then I already have more torque than I need. I have no doubt that the Ford 302, just a tad up from stock, will do just that and then some. It will be able to go faster than I'm willing to go. Knowing that I can still pop it when I'm already at 80 mph will be most satisfying.

I For me, the best "Dyno" will be my and the car's rear-end. If I'm pressed real hard in the seat and the tires smoke real good, then I already have more torque than I need.

For me, that says it all. I had my car on and off the dyno many times over 4 months, but that was only because I have 6 carburetors and the dyno gave me a way to read how the engine performance changed as I switched jets, power valves and so on. The numbers I got were "customer friendly", but the amount of torque or hp was not important, only the amount of change in those numbers.

Jeff

Dyno numbers are only bragging numbers for most, and a good place to break an engine, as I have seen many go that way on a dyno.
A real comfortable safe driver is all I want now days for myself.. too much radar around for speed thinking.. :)

I'm mainly interested in tuning the carbs and ignition curve. I'm only mildly curious about HP. I already know I'm making way more power than I can get to the ground.

I'm mainly interested in tuning the carbs and ignition curve. I'm only mildly curious about HP. I already know I'm making way more power than I can get to the ground.

I am very curious as to how much HP you are making as our engines are very similar. Lee how much boost can you make at wide open? Mine will make 12 lbs. The desk top dyno says 725 at the flywheel.

Lee how much boost can you make at wide open?

The most I've seen on the gauge is 5#. I'm running 1:1 and the MSD is rev-limited at 5600. The motor was built more for reliability than power, so it's not going to break my heart if I don't see a big HP number. Someone over on Hotrodders.com ran a DynoSim on it and came up with 528 horses. I would be very pleased with that.

The most I've seen on the gauge is 5#. I'm running 1:1 and the MSD is rev-limited at 5600. The motor was built more for reliability than power, so it's not going to break my heart if I don't see a big HP number. Someone over on Hotrodders.com ran a DynoSim on it and came up with 528 horses. I would be very pleased with that.

Before I mounted the 8-71 on the 392, I ran it on my blower test stand. I have a tach hooked to a 50 horse electric motor where I can run a blower at any specific RPM to check for boost pressure, bearing noises, seal blowby, and various other problems.

My 8-71 spinning @ 5500 is almost 18.5 psi. 6000 is 21.3 psi. I have my rev limiterset to 5500, but she'll spin well on past that and take about 14-16 psi before granade-ing. I'm running some underdrive, 2x4's, and I'm 600+ horses on the dyno. Ran in my motor and tuned it there.

Ran it on the road a few weeks back for a testrun before my final teardown of chassis for powdercoating and paint....upon teardown, I had a big honkin' crack thru the bellhousing area running to the front pump area. I had noticed a bad vibration about 60 mph...and it would go away about 55.

I developed a crack in my 350 last fall just before the end of the season and used that as an excuse (like I needed one) to built a 383 over the winter. It's scary fast and almost more fun then a man should be allowed to have.
dynosheet-1.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back