Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Best T Bucket Top Kit

CAB

Looking to add a soft top. I have found 3 mfgs: CCR, Spirit & Wintec. Any advice is appreciated.

What company made the body? If it is one of the three that you mention I would suggest that you go with that company to assure a proper fit. IMHO

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim....I believe the kit came from Speedway, who no longer carries the complete top kit.

Thanks for the reply Jim....I believe the kit came from Speedway, who no longer carries the complete top kit.
Who did you end up going with? I too, have a speedway 'T' and will be looking for a top.

Looking to add a soft top. I have found 3 mfgs: CCR, Spirit & Wintec. Any advice is appreciated.

Have you thought about making your own? I built my top frame using 1/2 electrical conduit and a pipe bender. Cost me $12. Then I bought light weight canvass material and figured out a pattern, my sister did the sewing. However if you have the frame and take it to an upholstery shop you will probably still come out ahead, all depends on what you are looking for. I fit mine so there are no snaps on the body (keep in mind it is only fit at this point) not sure how that will handle going down the road at 65. I did leave enough material so if I need to add snaps I can. It was actually pretty simple to make. I have seen very elaborate tops, that the front half folds up to allow easy entry etc....again depends on what you want. I did not much care for the 2 angle top which most offer, so I built my own.

Have you thought about making your own? I built my top frame using 1/2 electrical conduit and a pipe bender. Cost me $12. Then I bought light weight canvass material and figured out a pattern, my sister did the sewing. However if you have the frame and take it to an upholstery shop you will probably still come out ahead, all depends on what you are looking for. I fit mine so there are no snaps on the body (keep in mind it is only fit at this point) not sure how that will handle going down the road at 65. I did leave enough material so if I need to add snaps I can. It was actually pretty simple to make. I have seen very elaborate tops, that the front half folds up to allow easy entry etc....again depends on what you want. I did not much care for the 2 angle top which most offer, so I built my own.
If you have a local boat apohlstry shop, they can probably make one using aluminum. I don't know about the cost. I would think as small as it is that is shouldn't be too expensive, but I get sticker shock more often than not lately.

Here is a video using a Spirit Cars soft top and installing it on a speedway fiberglass body's

oce
That top looks good. I would use one of your tops of I decide to install one at a later date. I like videos like this. It gives a much better impression than just looking at catalogs or web sites. I am sure you are busy enough already, but the videos are a good idea for guys who don't do this everyday and are figuring it out as they go.

We used to do videos all the time. We had a full time employee back in the day that did our videos and then he left and we had a couple of more that didn't work out or have the eye for video like they said. We have another guy doing videos when we started back up and he passed away so we were left with no one. Then we moved and was trying to get moved in and keep production so we stopped. I do the videos on my Iphone 6s and do the editing. I just watched Youtube videos and just played around with the software and it was pretty easy but not a pro by all means. This video of the top was done by a shop that installed one of our tops for a customer using a speedway body. We are going to do videos for all of our product and post them on our website, youtube channel and online store. Glad you like the videos and hope to get some more tomorrow and get a couple of videos edited and put online.

Didn't take me long to figure out that doing videos is a lot of work. Takes a whopper of a computer and a good software
package to deal with the large files. I don't know how these people that post 15-30 minute YouTube videos every day do it.

But.....the vids are cool and if you can figure out how to do them efficiently they are a valuable resource for a business and their customers.
Just like having a website is basically a must, I think videos are close to it too. People are really using YouTube as a tool as much as entertainment.

Didn't take me long to figure out that doing videos is a lot of work. Takes a whopper of a computer and a good software
package to deal with the large files. I don't know how these people that post 15-30 minute YouTube videos every day do it.

But.....the vids are cool and if you can figure out how to do them efficiently they are a valuable resource for a business and their customers.
Just like having a website is basically a must, I think videos are close to it too. People are really using YouTube as a tool as much as entertainment.

Yes I looking into a faster computer right now. I have a pretty beefed up computer right now as when I built the computer 5 years ago I made sure it was going to be fast 5 years down the road. It is still fast then most computers but pricing out all the components now to build super fast computer. Also there are some good software for phones now that can handle the file size but yes videos take a lot of work

View attachment 11931

We used straps in the past instead of snaps. We could still do it like this. The snaps seems to get a tighter fit

I built my own top, no snaps.....granted I have not taken it down the road at 60+ MPH to see how much flapping there is, however, there is enough material to add snaps if needed:

IMG_20151024_163746_540_zpsitzknfcx.jpg

I saw one that used regular sash window locks mounted to the inside of the body and half of it on the top . looked tight.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back