Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Where to begin frame/suspension set up?

27RoadsterNoob

Newly aquired a Model T body, handmade frame, and some other random hot rod parts to begin building my first hot rod/t-bucket. Have been searching the internet and found some info on T Bucket Plans, but I'm curious what the experts of TBucketForums have to share..

Where have you found the most useful information on frame design, suspension set up, and similar parts/set-up?

Looking forward to great advice!! Thanks

Welcome to Tbucketeers! Love to see pic of what you're starting with. Most of us have some idea of what we want to end up with when our build is finished. What's your vision of the 'hotrod of your dreams'?

Photos of my rough set-up so far!

Welcome to Tbucketeers! Love to see pic of what you're starting with. Most of us have some idea of what we want to end up with when our build is finished. What's your vision of the 'hotrod of your dreams'?
Having trouble uploading a small enough photo, will report back!! Thank you.

My dream is something similar to a lakes roadster. Maybe a wishbone front end and 4-link rear. Semi-traditional

Welcome from Nebraska. Post a reply to every post someone/anyone makes and you will soon be at 10 posts. That is the magic # needed for your ability to post pictures from your computer, phone, etc. This way you can avoid hosting sites with all their inherent problems. This is important as we all, very much, want to see pictures of your build/progress/project acquisitions.

Jack

Welcome from Nebraska. Post a reply to every post someone/anyone makes and you will soon be at 10 posts. That is the magic # needed for your ability to post pictures from your computer, phone, etc. This way you can avoid hosting sites with all their inherent problems. This is important as we all, very much, want to see pictures of your build/progress/project acquisitions.

Jack
Greatly appreciate the suggestion Jack. Will do

Newly aquired a Model T body, handmade frame, and some other random hot rod parts to begin building my first hot rod/t-bucket. Have been searching the internet and found some info on T Bucket Plans, but I'm curious what the experts of TBucketForums have to share..

Where have you found the most useful information on frame design, suspension set up, and similar parts/set-up?

Looking forward to great advice!! Thanks
Do you have any particular engine in mind. The really neat thing about these cars, in my opinion, is the open engine bay. It is so visceral having the living, throbbing beast out for all to see. Unhidden, unashamed, barely bridled! It is easy to let these baser instincts and desires drag us away from necessity. But, isn't that what it's all about?! This hobby has, perhaps, deeper meaning than we realize!? Loosing our passions!? Otherwise, we'd all be driving Priuses.
I'm not sure if that is the proper plural form? Perhaps Prii?

Do you have any particular engine in mind. The really neat thing about these cars, in my opinion, is the open engine bay. It is so visceral having the living, throbbing beast out for all to see. Unhidden, unashamed, barely bridled! It is easy to let these baser instincts and desires drag us away from necessity. But, isn't that what it's all about?! This hobby has, perhaps, deeper meaning than we realize!? Loosing our passions!? Otherwise, we'd all be driving Priuses.
I'm not sure if that is the proper plural form? Perhaps Prii?
Very poetic!! Well said HAHA. For now, I have no preference on engine, just want to drive it ASAP. Would like to stay semi-traditional with a Ford engine, eventually a flathead in its final form!

1200 X 900 pixels work for me (foto size for posting). Hope this helps. Looks like you've posted a couple of fotos. If your fotos are smaller than 1200 x 900 pixels you can enlarge them to the size i use.

I noticed the eyelets on each end of your rear eliptical spring. One eyelet in located on top of the leaf spring & the other is located on the bottom of the leaf spring. What's up with that ??

I noticed the eyelets on each end of your rear eliptical spring. One eyelet in located on top of the leaf spring & the other is located on the bottom of the leaf spring. What's up with that ??
It has a broken leaf also. Personally, I wouldn’t use it. Looks beefy too, as in overly stout. It is not my build though, just a observation.

First, your front axle is off a parallel leaf spring vehicle, like a truck. You can use it but you might have to fabricate mounts to use a transverse spring/hairpins. Depending on the make, you might be able to use your spindles and brakes but use a different straight axle for a transverse spring. As already brought up, your rear spring might be an issue. You can get a rear transverse spring and mounts from Speedway or somewhere else. You can use coilover shocks. You should measure the width between the inside of your rear wheels for a reared width if you like where your tire are positioned. There are plenty of posts here on mounting a rearend. You have lots of room for an engine. If you are looking for an old school look, you might think about an inline 6. A sbf or sbc will easily fit there with room to spare. Or go crazy and mount a big block. Plenty of info on the forum. Looking forward for more posts.

Here is a image of a parallel leaf spring to transverse spring mount.

Attachments

• Bolt on mount.png
    Bolt on mount.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 23

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back