Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

billit

Francis Blake

Ihear billit this and billit that about the time I think I have it pinned down somebody throws something else in that dont fit what I thought :lol::confused::eek:..I'm sure someone here can splain billit ta me......Francis

It's when you take a block of aluminum (usually), put it in a milling machine or lathe and cut away anything that doesn't look like the part you need.

Billet is used commonly to describe parts machined typically on a CNC machine from a bar, or larger block of metal (called a billet), differentiating parts manufactured this way from those cast in a mold.

So as an example, a billet 12x22 inch wheel may start off as a 12.5X22.5 billet of solid aluminum, it's set into a CNC machine that machines the wheel to the desired design and shape (can often take many hours)... henceforth the cost is usually quite high.

CNC Machine for up to 24 inch wheels:

bardons-oliver_33080_preview_2.jpg

These piece was produced from a small block (billet) of aluminum:

cnc_milled_complex_part.gif

So, because the part originates from a piece of billet, the parts are often referred to as billet... It just dawned on me that your post may have been tongue in cheek and I'm looking really stupid right now... :eek:

No it wasnt tongue in cheek every ones destription is what I thought but then I see a part that is obviously stamped and they call it billit , thats why I thought I was missing something (well maybe I am):eek:...Thanks...Francis

Francis Blake said:
No it wasnt tongue in cheek every ones destription is what I thought but then I see a part that is obviously stamped and they call it billit , thats why I thought I was missing something (well maybe I am):eek:...Thanks...Francis

And that is why you have to be careful when you order stuff from some companies. There are some who really don't know what billet is and will claim that just because a part is stamped out of aluminum, they'll call it billet. Then, there are the ripoff artist who know they are selling non-billet and are just out to get your hard earned coin.

When buying expensive billet stuff, try and do a little research. There are ripoffs out there and I'm sure some of our members can attest to that fact.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back