Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

bleeding wilwood disc brakes, little response

Robert

Banned
Installed new 2 psi check with teflon tape to front brake lines - - jacked up front end, rotated tires by hand only get one or 2 revolutions, this check really keeps brakes tighter (less gas mileage too I assume). Anybody else tried this and noticed how tires don't rotate well ?

Bleeding all brake nipples, get great fluid squirt out of each nipple except passenger side front only get like 2 to 3 drops each bleed cycle (manual bleed with another person pushing on brake pedal while we call out "fully down", "up", and "push" - - - "open" and "tight" so I can tighten and loosen nipples at proper time to keep air out).

Removed brake line from this problem caliper and get great fluid squirt, must be something stuck in caliper ?

Emailed 4 photos to Wilwood to identify caliper model and suggest what caliper rebuild kit I need.

Pull the bleeder screw completely out, then gently touch the brake pedal. The orifice in the bleeder screw is probably partly blocked. Teflon tape does not go on the brake system. If you have a leak, on a flared line, it is not tight enough or cracked. If it is a banjo fitting, check the washers or mating surface.

If your master cylinder is higher than your calipers, you don't need the check valve (residual valve). It is used to keep fluid from running downhill, back to the m/c. Disc brakes usually have some drag on them since there in no return springs like drum brakes. I am with railroad, sounds like something in the bleeder.
Lee

Ordered caliper rebuild kits for my Wilwood calipers (4 square O-rings is all it is).

Did not even realize until takedown these calipers have FOUR bleed screws on each one (4 pistons).

Tech at Wilwood explained use air compressor and small blocks of wood to pop out all 4 pistons roughly same distance because if you completely blow out one piston then cannot use air to get other 3 pistons out.

One bleed screw broke off in caliper (steel in aluminum corrosion, or last owner tightened too tight).

Tried drilling and then screw extractor (easy out). It broke off.

These calipers are expensive.

Gonna try to pre-charge the caliper pistons with brake fluid, then use the other 3 bleed screws to bleed keeping the caliper oriented up so any air bubbles float up, hopefully can avoid getting any air trapped in the one piston that has the broken off bleed screw.

If that does not work gonna be shelling out some serious bucks for a new caliper I guess.

You can try some 50/50 acetone/transmission fluid. Let it soak in the bleeder hole. I ran into this with some old calipers. You have let it soak, hit it with some heat, let it soak some more. WARNING, drain the acetone/trans fluid before heat!!

Try using the ez out again. They will come out but it will take some time. Just be careful.

Just a thought, can those calipers be swapped side to side since they have so many bleeder screws? Might save even trying to get a broken ezout, out. Over the years I have found that is all they are good for, causing more problems and headaches.

Just a thought, can those calipers be swapped side to side since they have so many bleeder screws? Might save even trying to get a broken ezout, out. Over the years I have found that is all they are good for, causing more problems and headaches.

Swapped side to side ?

Well, tried heating the bleeder screw area with propane torch for 2 minutes till brake fluid started vaporizing, let it cool down, drilled hole in it to .125, installed Easy Out - - promptly broke off.

Oh well, that bleeder is now TIGHTer than a $%#@! - - no worries, removed all remaining 3 bleeders and wrapped with teflon tape then reinstalled, filled a vinyl tube with brake fluid with no air bubbles, attached the 3 foot small vinyl tubing to a caliper nipple, other end into 1 quart brake fluid bottle.

Tighten and lossen nipple according to suction of syringe.

Used Tractor Supply animal syringe to some tiny vinyl tubing on to main outlet of calipers to reverse suction all air bubbles out in several sequences as much as possible - with nice, clear brake fluid showing flowing from bottle into caliper - rotated this apparatus around to the 3 remaining nipples.

Tightened up the whole caliper assembly to main brake hose and now prepare to bleed all 3 again using my son stomping on the brake peddle (tighten- loosen the bleeders cave man style).

I think I'll get it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back