Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Boat motor GM 4cyl

barnbikes

Just picked up an OMC inboard/outboard. Get it out of here for free deal.

Any idea what tranny would mount to it?

Marine engine website said: CHEVY 2.5L 153CI 4cyl 1962-1980

Casting number on side of block is 3849449.

Duel carb set up.

That engine will take a "standard" Chevy small block, big block, or later Chevy 6 cylinder bellhousing and neutral balance flywheel.

Bob

You can use the marine flywheel if it's drilled for a clutch pressure plate. Not all of the marine engine flywheels were drilled with that pattern. If yours is drilled, your good to go. If not, drill it or use a neutral balance automotive flywheel.

Bob

I've got a 3.0 liter Mercruiser engine sitting on the shop floor that I scored at work one day. I have no idea what project I will ever use it for, but it would be cool in a little track T. Biggest problem I have found is getting an intake and exhaust manifold for these engines. The boat motors had a water cooled exhaust/intake manifold setup, so that can't be used. I have done some research, and Clifford and others don't make one for this engine. But if I ever do use it I'll fab up an intake and some headers to use.

The one thing you want to look at with a marine engine that was used in salt water is possible rust through in the cooling passages. A fresh water motor is a whole nuther animal and doesn't have those problems so much.

Don

Well here it is. Thinking the cast iron exhaust manifold looks kind of cool with the rear 4" dump. Need to start dumping rear boat drive weight just about collapsed my lift.

donsrods said:
I've got a 3.0 liter Mercruiser engine sitting on the shop floor that I scored at work one day. I have no idea what project I will ever use it for, but it would be cool in a little track T. Biggest problem I have found is getting an intake and exhaust manifold for these engines. The boat motors had a water cooled exhaust/intake manifold setup, so that can't be used. I have done some research, and Clifford and others don't make one for this engine. But if I ever do use it I'll fab up an intake and some headers to use.

The one thing you want to look at with a marine engine that was used in salt water is possible rust through in the cooling passages. A fresh water motor is a whole nuther animal and doesn't have those problems so much.

Don
There was a big discussion on the HAMB about these motors depends on what 4 cylinder Mercury marine motor you have for intake and exhaust .They had one that uses a Ford big block cylinder head which I think is the 3.0 motor,The 152 motor you can use car intake and exhaust headers on it's the same or cut the water jackets off the marine intake to pretty it up.all the boat motors have more stock horse power than it's land locked equals in cars.I dragged hom3e a junk boat just to get the guages and 140 hp Chevy 4 popper out of it.I will be mating the boat motor to an s10 5 speed trans and s10 4x4 rear in my next build(next build?I didn't just say that did I!)

The one pictured has the Chevy head on it. toss the boat manifolds and use a cliford single 2bl with a tube header. there are two versions of this motor. One has 151 cubes and the other has a stroked crank giving 181 cubes. Mine was a 181 and it went like stink. that distributor should be a machanical one. This works good on the street as it has light springs in it. It's only retarded enough to get it started, then it's full advance. Water pump should be a 6 cyl pump, flows a little more water. the cam could be like the street engine but could be a higher lift if it's a 181cu. in. All in all an awesome lil street motor. I surprised a lot of folks with mine in a 1740 pound car.

Ron

That Ford headed Mercruiser was a damn fine Midget engine in its day.
So of course was the Chevy II except a lot more so. And of course the Pontiac 4 known as the Iron Duke, perhaps the most notable of them all.
No trick to get 1 1/2hp per cubic inch out of a banger like these on good gas, a good 5 or 6 speed stick, 1300lb car and then you got yourself an 8 beater.
And they sound nasty..................

My neighbor built and fixed circle track modifieds. He had one that he said had the iron duke with a ford boss 302 head. I know the torque plate we had in the engine shop at the college would fit a few different blocks. when we were honing the cylinders.

Ansen made a crossflow head that really would wake up this sleeping giant. Very hard to find these days but well worth it if you can handle the price.

RON

Dose anyone know if the cam and rollers from a later motor will work in the earlier or boat motors??

Ron

Youngster said:
Dose anyone know if the cam and rollers from a later motor will work in the earlier or boat motors??

Ron

No, the Iron Duke cam won't work in the Chevy II / marine engine.

Bob

hummm too bad ... that would have been sweet. ty scootin.

Ron

bobscogin said:
You can use the marine flywheel if it's drilled for a clutch pressure plate. Not all of the marine engine flywheels were drilled with that pattern. If yours is drilled, your good to go. If not, drill it or use a neutral balance automotive flywheel.

Bob

Here is a picture of the flywheel. Corvair pressure plate I have out in the garage lines right up with the bolt pattern. flywheel is about 1.5" thick though.

Has anyone used a 327 marine engine in. T looking at one now just have a bad feeling about it

A. 327 Chev block is the same regardless of where it came from there are reverse rotation marine engines , one major point to watch for , if it was in salt water , there may not be a lot of block left ...

Reactions: RPM
2O2F, that's an interesting fact about reverse rotation marine engines. I didn't know that were engines that were designed to run in reverse.

The blocks are the same , likewise rods & pistons , the crank may appear the same but some have the oil holes reversed , the dist and oil pump turn the same direction , the big difference is the cam & dist gears , other than that , thier pretty much the same ......
The engines I thought were really cool were the 78a Merc inline 6-65 hp 2 strokes , they had a non shifting gear case , they either started in forward or reverse , you had to have your wits about you when docking ......

Last edited:
Usually, marine used better parts, forged internals, etc. 327 all had forged cranks. The marine engine will likely require cam change, etc. to match desired rpm range. As for reversed rotation, that is possible, the ones I've seen that were reversed were twin engine application, one is standard, one reversed... I'm sure there are exceptions. Freezing and overheating are prominent marine engine failure issues. Hard to beat a 327.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back