Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body Painting ??

Duke

What is the going rate to paint a t T body, grille shell, and deck lid. Body is a Spirit, nice and heavy and even. One color ( Yellow ) . I will be ready to have it done in about a week to 10 days - So I went shopping for a painter. The bids were all over the place with the high being $ 4000 :sick: . I don't want to do it myself, because it is too cold to paint, would have to wait for warm weather. I want to be driving it when it turns nice outside, not be painting it .

I paid a local body shop $ 1500 to paint my T body black, and my Son paid the same shop $ 2000. He had a bed on his, a grille shell, and headlights. I painted my shell and headlights myself. They did a great job for that little amount of money I thought.

Don

Holy smokes,I'm too old or some thing,I need to come out of retirement and paint some stuff again:sad: For anything this small,seems under $700 would be high to me! Most of you ,like me would be getting it smoothed out our self,just not that much work for the paint shop to do,but if candy or flake,then ya,the paint cost is up there,but not just a high gloss color.:rolleyes:

I haven't done anything with fiberglass to get ready to paint, Done a bunch of tin with fat fenders. The body really is straight and looks good. For prep I will do most. What about the gel coat, I assume that has to be sanded down, What grit do you all recommend. I think the $4000 dollar bit was to make me go some where else - And it worked. I budgeted myself at around $1500, would like less, but still want a good job.

I painted my car myself. I used a base coat, clear coat from NAPA. The time I bought all the material, I had about $500 invested. This was no labor just the paint, thinner, primers, etc. Some of the stuff is really high price. The red bucket I had, I remeber just a qt of red paint was about $150.00...

When mine is ready for paint I am going to use farm implement paint from tractor supply it comes in a few colors but I think it could be mixed to create a desireable color. I helped a friend paint a truck with it a few years ago (yellow) and it still looked good the last time I saw it. It costs 40-50$ a gallon:):rolleyes::lol:....Francis

After painting all the suspension, frame, wheels, motor, and transmission on my T, I felt the $ 1500 I paid for the body was very reasonable. I have a bunch of money in just supplies for the portions I did........probably better than $ 1500, by the time you add in paint, hardener, thinner, reducer, sandpaper, tape, primer, hardener for that, etc etc.

Also, some colors, like red, are much more than others. It also pays to buy quality brand products so you will get good results that last.

Don

What I really hate is sanding and the clean-up after your done - There is alot of time involved. At 62 years of age, I would rather drive than paint.:rolleyes:

$1,500 to $4,000!!!:eek: $500 to $700 for supplies if I try and do it myself!! Plus, I'd want to baby sit my car, so it wouldn't get scratched or touched!:eek:

At those prices, I could and will start a new build. Miss behavin' is staying in off white gelcoat for a loooooooooooong time. Sure do like black cars, but dang!:sad:

Francis Blake said:
When mine is ready for paint I am going to use farm implement paint from tractor supply it comes in a few colors but I think it could be mixed to create a desireable color. I helped a friend paint a truck with it a few years ago (yellow) and it still looked good the last time I saw it. It costs 40-50$ a gallon:):rolleyes::lol:....Francis

becareful of farm implement paint, takes a long time to dry if you do not bake it...If you got to a NAPA, or other auto parts store that sell's paint ask for fleet color pacages of"factory pack". Usually basic color's in, gallon's, single stage enamel with reducer and hardener will run around $100 to $200 for everything.. Last a real long time shines and sands and buff's out real nice I've done a bunch of cars this way with fantastic result's....easy to fix mistakes as well wit this stuff.. I think its NASON brand, atleast in this part of the country...Ryan

I used house of colors basecoat black and a ppg clear with a ppg dulling agent mixed into the clear n a cold november day. About 250$ in supplys and paint, Made a paint booth in garage with tarps and lights. It turned out good, no orange peel or runs.

I used all PPG product... was not cheap for sure... in supplies which consisted of primer, sealer, 3 Qts. of bright red, and a gallon of clear (of course all with the appropriate reducers and hardeners) was over $1000 in just material... add to that about another $300 for sandpaper and 3M three stage polish... Labor... er... that was me and a couple of buddies (aka garage gang)!

Dennis Bynum said:
I used house of colors basecoat black and a ppg clear with a ppg dulling agent mixed into the clear n a cold november day. About 250$ in supplys and paint, Made a paint booth in garage with tarps and lights. It turned out good, no orange peel or runs.

Now THAT sounds like it's right up my alley!:dance:

I didn't think paint was that expensive I think flat black will do.

No kidding. I would'nt have figured it would be that much if I did it myself!! Good thing I like flat black!!!!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back