Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body storage

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've lost the storage space for my fiberglass body...daughter and her bf have moved back home. How detrimental will it be for the body to sit outside? It has been primed on the outside, but the interior is raw. It is on a pallet, on concrete.

I don't think it would be bad if had it covered good. What about that shrink wrapping like they do when they store boats?

Charge daughter and bf rent to equal a storage unit. No sense in enabling bad decisions!

If I tried that, "She who must be obeyed" would want to charge me rent to....LOL

I don't think it would be bad if had it covered good. What about that shrink wrapping like they do when they store boats?

I like the shrink wrap idea, but I have no idea where to get the stuff, or how to use it. If I'm going to cover it, I'd probably just get a tarp big enough to push down inside so there would be no snow load, then fasten the perimeter of the tarp to the pallet.

You have a garage?

bucket%20002.jpg_595.jpg

Put eye bolts through the floor and the rafters.

I wouldn't shrink wrap it as that will keep in moisture in and create condensation. Just put a tarp over it so it is protected but it can breath.

You have a garage?

bucket%20002.jpg_595.jpg

Put eye bolts through the floor and the rafters.

Unfortunately just a walk in basement level storage/workshop area with a low ceiling. If daughter and b/f still here I'll have to build a workshop next spring. I can't eve get in the door with an apartment worth of furniture crammed in there <sigh>

Last edited:
I wouldn't shrink wrap it as that will keep in moisture in and create condensation. Just put a tarp over it so it is protected but it can breath.

I hadn't thought about condensation.....good point

Stand it up on the firewall and it takes up less space. Put it in the guest room and they will get tired of walking around it and MOVE! Can you tell my kids live with me? Yes, I can advise real good because I have been thinking about it for a LOOOOOONNNNG time! LOL

Add 4x4 posts just tall enough for body onto pallet and put A-roof over body. Also a tarp to keep mist out, and let it breathe.

My take is this , it's fiberglass [like they make boats out of ] unless there's raw wood in it [floor , etc.] there shouldn't be a problem w/moisture... the only thing to protect it from is the sun as raw [no gelcoat] fiberglass can be degraded by UV exposure....but that would take a looooong time ... like ORF said , set it on the firewall & throw a tarp over it.
dave

Vents can be put in shrink rap. I had a a fiberglass boat shrink wrapped every year for at least 20 years stored outside in a New York winter with no ill effects. if its outside I would recommend shrink wrap.

My take is this , it's fiberglass [like they make boats out of ] unless there's raw wood in it [floor , etc.] there shouldn't be a problem w/moisture... the only thing to protect it from is the sun as raw [no gelcoat] fiberglass can be degraded by UV exposure....but that would take a looooong time ... like ORF said , set it on the firewall & throw a tarp over it.
dave

At this point there is no wood floor, but the body is fastened to a pallet, and the pallet is sitting on concrete with good drainage. I'd hoped to keep it on the pallet until I'm ready to start working on the wooding. What would be the purpose of standing the body on the firewall? On the UV issue...my plan is that once the wooding and flooring is in, to coat the entire interior including the wooding in a continuous coating of roll-on bed liner. It will probably be a year or more until I'm to the point of doing that. Would that bee to long leaving it raw and sitting outside?

...my plan is that once the wooding and flooring is in, to coat the entire interior including the wooding in a continuous coating of roll-on bed liner.

It's OK for the raw glass to be outside, just cover it with a tarp to keep the sun off it. The tarp will rot away before the glass will be damaged. I wouldn't use bed liner for this. Standard spray enamel will give it good protection and is more easily sanded off if you make changes or want a different color later.

Jack

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back