Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bolts

der Spieler said:
I used grade 8 3/8 bolts in mine.

I always use grade 8 bolts! Most of the time I will buy and install SS ones.

I used grade 8 1/2" stainless and polished them but i guess my car don't count, everything on it is overkill anyway.

A good friend of mine here has drag race chassis shop. They build pro mod cars. We were talking bolts one day and he was saying that in the 4 links in the rear. They have switched from 3/4" bolts to 1/2". He went on to say they have had no failures at all. The reason behind all this was to save unsprung weight. Now how much weight difference can there be in 3/4 to 1/2 bolts? We are only talking grams here I would think. I also know a lot of the bolts he uses are titanium.

One thing to keep in mind if you are increasing the bolt size by drilling larger holes in the clevises is that unless you increase the size of the clevis, you are just shifting the possibility for failure from one part to another. Just a little something to think about.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that while grade 8 bolts have a higher tensile strength than grade 5 bolts they are comparatively brittle, and that in an application that was liable to encounter shock loads grade 5 bolts were preferable. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

i have found this too. i had the heads on grd8's break off. i tend to use grd5's where there is no movemnet and 8's for bushed ends in double shear.

Ron

Yes grade 5 in a place that might take shock. And 8 in places where you worry about wear.

Every nut,bolt and washer on my bucket is stainless,polished. Most of the chassis bolts are ARP stainless. Don't know why. Grade 5's are good as general purpose and suspension. Tensil strenghth PSI-120,000..Grade 8's must be used for brake parts. Tensil strength-150,000 PSI. Grade 8's can't handle vibration very well and will break. I'm not sure anymore but NHRA would not pass anything that used a grade 8 in any of the suspension.

Stainless comes in a variety of alloys, some hardenable, and to high tensile strengths. Probably wont find them at the corner hardware store though. Not cheap either!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back