Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bonneville Speed Week 2019

Apart from a complete strip down, how do they get all that salt off their rides????

I ran a modified Camaro there several years ago. Let me tell you, that salt gets EVERYWHERE especially at speeds around 140 mph! Once back in Florida it took a couple of days to get things back in order. At least I can say, "been there, done that!" I can check it off my bucket list.

Jim

That's alot of work for one year. Many things have to be done different and passing safety
inspection. Did you have idea if you would pass inspection before you got there? I would
hate to get there and find out something did not pass and was not going to be an easy fix.

Neat rides , Me and 2 mates come over in 2008 to Bonneville .Had a great time, sleep in the RV on the bend on the salt and then went to the Good Guys in Pleasanton . Great trip would like to go again .

I went there in ‘89 with 3 friends with cars. One was a ‘32 Ford roadster with a flathead and a 70 year old driver that in the ‘50s drove a ‘32 roadster from Massachusetts to the flats and took off the windshield and raced and drove back home. I think he went 120 something. Another one was a ‘34 3 window Ford. He went 179 to qualify for the long course but broke a rod so he was done. The third car was an A model Ford roadster on ‘32 rails. They have gone to Bonneville every year forever! They got the C/SR record that year at 190 something. One pass was over 200 but the average kept them out of the 200 club. I wanted to build a car for that but being a broke ass saved me! Good times.

One was a ‘32 Ford roadster with a flathead and a 70 year old driver that in the ‘50s drove a ‘32 roadster from Massachusetts to the flats and took off the windshield and raced and drove back home.
Damn you must be old to have friends like that, we are way too soft to try that now!

I thought about taking the engine from my TBucket and put it in a prepared Camaro, but that
required all the other systems to be top notch and that was still expensive. Then I thought it
would be cheaper to show up with a couple thousand dollars and make friends/help a low
budget team with someone that might run 150-200 mph, then just buy a ride. That would have
been much cheaper than trying to build a car.

I know, what are the chances of that happening, kinda like the Perfect Storm. It happens, just
not very often.

Damn, wish I had not brought this subject up, my mind is running again???

Lol! I tried not to reply to keep me from dreaming about that stuff again. If I can get in touch with the street roadster guys and if they are still doing it we’ll see about meeting them at Bvill next year. I’m sure you can fit their fire suit!

I’m sure you can fit their fire suit!
What are trying to tell me??? hehehe!!!
So you think they might be hurting enough for money that they could let me drive?

BTW, don't they run twice a year?

They may have more events but Tommy and Maynard only go to speedweek. I’m sure they would let you make a pass or two. If they are not going they may lend us the car to go. They are just that kind of guys.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back