Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Boosted vs Manual brakes

T4TWO

Are most of you running mannual or boosted brakes on your ride? Does anyone make a small brake booster that will fit along the inside frame rails of a T Bucket? Or will only a mannual brake master fit?

Since I build fairly traditional type rods I have never added a booster, and never found a need for one. I know some on here have them though so they can probably give some info on adding one.

Don

T 4 2 said:
... Does anyone make a small brake booster that will fit along the inside frame rails of a T Bucket?

I run manual brakes, however Spirit Industries had a small power booster setup...

91031451_L.jpg

Here are a couple of links... First one is just booster and MC and the second one is complete MC Kit...

Spirit Industries - Chrome Power Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Combo

Spirit Industries - Power Brake Kit

I have the Spirit brake booster in my T-Bucket. I like it, works good. One thing to remember is depending how your engine is set up. A blower or a heavy cam and you will not have enough manifold vacuum to make it work. I have a 350 with 64cc vortex heads and a light cam, engine vac runs about 13". Much lower than that and the booster would be useless.

I'm planning on manual brakes because of the limited space and a booster will take up too much room. Also, planning on a good size cam. So vaccum will become an issue with the booster.

I run manual brakes and most guys that have driven my bucket never noticed it. It's no harder to stop the bucket with manual brakes then it is my Silverado with power brakes.

planning on running manual brakes on my build,really can't see the need for a booster,if you have the correct size master and slave cylinders as well as pedal ratio there shouldn't really be a problem.Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

Kyle - You are right on the money. I just used the booster just to do it. Can have less pedal ratio and a shorter pedal - that could be helpful in some cases.

My T when I bought it already had a booster installed on the rear of the frame. It is rather large and is going to require me to install rear calipers and make custom mounting brackets, because the Jag rear calipers don't have enough room to mount in the typical fashion. After reading thisI think I could elimnate the booster and go back to installing the original calipers. My front disc have a custom billet mounting bracket with 4 1200cc motorcycle calipers. The bracket serves as a dual purpose to support the front fenders, as well. I think by eliminating the booster I can save time space, and money.

i have never found the need for a booster. kyle pretty much gave my reasons.

Ron

My brakes work fine using just manual.Keep rear drums adjusted and will have minimal pedal travel.

If a person is having stopping problems, you may like this, a hydroboost unit, check it out here on Bob's web site.
Power Brake Services.com Bob just told me He installed one on a Roadster with a Jag rear, and now it stops on a dime and easy to boot.. I have no real stopping problem with mine, just need a bit more presure to the rear, big shoes... as I was wearing out too many ft. pads..:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back