Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Brakes for original model T front axles?

ICURAbuckethead2

I originally posted this in the suspensions section but maybe I should have posted it here...

I'm new to T-buckets and this forum, so I'll be asking a few dumb-new-guy questions. Here's a fine example of one right now:

Why aren't there very many original model T front axles on T-Buckets? It seems like it would be a natural thing to do. The reason I'm asking is because I already have a complete model T front end with wire-spoked wheels.

I'm guessing it's because it was simply easier/faster to get an axle from another car that already came with front brakes than it is to try to add them to the originals. Is this the main reason or are there others?

Here's a couple of pictures of what some enterprising folks at The Model T Ford Club of America have done. They are restricted by their peers (and their own) desire to keep things as OEM as possible, so they have sometimes been poo-pooed for their modern thinking (it's understandable- not an insult). However, as a Hot Rodder, I am under no such restrictions.

I think I could use a stock model T front axle if I beefed up the hairpins to handle the brake torque. After seeing Henry's promotional pictures of an axle that was twisted 8 times without snapping, I'm guessing it won't break. But it worries me that I haven't seen them under hardly any T-buckets. That, coupled with the fact that I am so "green" leads me to wonder if I've missed something obvious or important. I'd like to be safe for my girls and all the other people on the road.

brakes model t.jpgbrakes model t disc.jpg

The disk set up looks super-simple. Just make a bracket to correctly position most any small brake caliper from an appropriately sized car or bike. Turn a disk to size in a lathe, drill some holes and, "Wallah! Bob's your uncle."

Are there any other reasons not to use the original Model T front axles?

Thanks for any advice.

You can't just look at the axle, you need to look at the other pieces of the front suspension too. The spindles are weak. Subjecting them to daily use with modern brake systems and falure is in the future. That's why when Henry's cars got faster and heavier he went to a better ''idea''. Now, the speedster guys still use them but that is a limited use vehicle too. You mentioned safety. Look at what's tried and proven an you will have many miles of smiles.

Ron

Take a look at some Model T specifications;

http://www.modelt.ca/13T-fs.html

I think as long as you keep you car at 1200 lbs and twenty horse power you're not as likley to break one of the spindles or the spindly upper king pin supports in the axle. What did these cars top out at? 35 mph?

Consider the weight of the front wheels and tires. To achieve a comfortable margin of confidence in the integrity of the front end, don't increase the unsprung weight and don't intall an engine heavier than the original. Increasing the weight of these items and avaialable power will have an exponential effect on stress and wear.

Yougster is correct about faster heavier cars having more substancial chassis components. The term I've applied to improved designs is what I call, the logical evolution of the product. That'sone of the things that made this a great country - and, of which we could use much more.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back