Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bucket Engine

I think the LS engines look pretty good in our cars

20160714_184954_zps8vpyccla.jpg

a>

20160714_184954_zps8vpyccla.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I didnt want to build a show car. I wanted to build a driver. Found the frame on craigslist the end of March and this is what i ended up doing with it.

I to am building a driver. Something to explore the backroads and occasionally go to a few car shows.

The back half of your car is VERY similar to what I'm trying to accomplish. I have questions, but since not about the engine, I'll hold them for another day.

I was just talking to a fellow gear head who told me there is a salvage yard not far from me selling complete LS engines for two hundred bucks. If that turns out to be true, I may be reselling used LS engines and parts soon... What are they selling for in your neck of the woods?

Not a clue, Never thought I would have considered using one until I read up on them, and had one laying around. I imagine 200 is cheap, and real cheap if they are the 5.7-6.0 variety. I couldn't pass on free.

Down here in florida, you used to be able to pick them up all day long for 400. Now you are lucky to find anything in the 1000 range. I am down to 1 bare block in my shop and am always on the lookout for some good deals on motors.

1 of the things that amazes me is i have torn apart several LS motors with 150000 plus miles on them and the cylinders still have the factory cross hatch and the bearings look brand new. I also love the MLS gaskets GM uses.
The negatives i see are the price of parts. A Gen 1 cam can be had for 150 but a custom cam for a LS is 450. Etc. etc.

1 of the things that amazes me is i have torn apart several LS motors with 150000 plus miles on them and the cylinders still have the factory cross hatch and the bearings look brand new. I also love the MLS gaskets GM uses.
The negatives i see are the price of parts. A Gen 1 cam can be had for 150 but a custom cam for a LS is 450. Etc. etc.
I used to pick up 4 bolt 350 cores all day for $100.00, now, it's getting hard to find a complete one, guys want two bills for a bare block. I sold a 2 bolt 400 sbc for five bones with no heads or crank, just the block and caps.the guy way happy as a clam? You are right about the aftermarket price, ouch! Also the improved fuel control really extends the life on them. No more fuel washed cylinders, especially on a cold dry start with a full choke or several pumps of raw fuel... If you think about it, it's crazy that we done it that way, lol.

To be honest I've never paid any attention to LS engines. At $200 for a complete running engine, I'd be starting the learning curve.

Around here the salvage prices for anything with more than average demand....or from performance vehicles...is sky high. Anything from before the mid 80s except stuff from muscle or pony cars they sell for scrap to the recyclers. The best example I know of first hand is rear end assemblies. A late 80s mustang rear end is usually around $500...the exact same rear end except for around an inch longer axles, even the same bracketry, from a T-Bird is around $100.

I bought an LS1 out of a "98 Z28 from the local salvage yard. Being ignorant I didn't get the engine harness. After pricing a harness to run this engine, I wish I had bought an old 350.

Can't you convert it to carburetion or for alittle more go with an aftermarket EFI.

Yep, carb conversions a popular, especially with the new ethanol resistant coatings the mfg'ers have come out with. The efi's have come a long way....they're cheaper now, perform flawlessly, look alot better. No flooding problems, improved performance, better fuel mileage....

Ain't that the truth. Many many young guys around that can map this stuff in their sleep

perform flawlessly, look alot better. No flooding problems, improved performance, better fuel mileage....

I bought an LS1 out of a "98 Z28 from the local salvage yard. Being ignorant I didn't get the engine harness. After pricing a harness to run this engine, I wish I had bought an old 350.
You almost have to be an engineer and programmer to eliminate all of the non essentials from a factory harness now. I was at one time able to reduce the factory TPI harnesses to seven wires (to connect to implanted vehicle) and they performed great, but it required an extensive amount of research and numerous manuals to trace all of the schematics. I'm not that energetic anymore, and I can't see as good, so no more schematic tracing... that was due to the price of a painless harness back then... I've heard of aftermarket harnesses that use factory ecm and aftermarket ecm and all. Whatever you decide from this point, do your homework. I've heard of guys having problems converting to carburation unless everything is converted including the cam. The ecm makes thousands of adjustments to timing, fuel, etc. simply slapping an intake, carb and ignition on it won't necessarily do it justice.

I hear what you are saying about the Painless harness, that's why on one hand I wish I would have went with the standard small block. Then on the other hand I like the weight savings of the aluminum block and heads plus the performance of the factory LS. I looked into the carb setups but they are more than what the harness is. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy the harness and be done. It comes with the control modules for the engine and transmission plus Painless flashes it to match the specs I need. I guess when I think about it, it's not such a bad deal. Sorry to have bothered you guys with my wishy washy wonderings.

Sorry to have bothered you guys with my wishy washy wonderings.

Hey . . . no apologies necessary. We all benefit from an analysis like this. Weighing options and choosing the best one for you is what hot rodding is all about!:):D:thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back