Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

bucket of bolts build

I’m not a fan of steel tube close to my head in a street car. A mild collision could have a bad ending. I was rereading your post to see if it was going to be a race car and noticed you had a tweaked front axle. Contact Nostalgia Sid in Oklahoma for advice. He is the man for dropped axles.

I have a new axle (complete with front discs, kingpins, outers ect) from Speedway that just showed up. I will have to primer and paint it, then get it assembled. The front end that came with it was just to sketchy. The main hoop for the rollbar/cage will be in the bed far from touching my noggin. I am also running high back seats to help keep it a safe distance away.

You're Welcome !

If you're willing to spend a few more dollars then decking the block would certainly help. But if you have not bought your rotating assembly yet, then a different size piston dish would be an easy adjustment. Scat has a 15.8cc dish that would be perfect !
Kit has been orderd

Bringing the quench clearance closer to .040" with the .021" head gasket will also help deter detonation.

is closer better to deter detonation? So would a zero deck with .021" head gasket help even more? Of course piston to valve clearence is a concern also but that can be fixed.

"is closer better to deter detonation?"
Yes

"So would a zero deck with .021" head gasket help even more?"

Going below .040" is starting to get risky. When all the clearances shift to one side and the rod stretches, then you are getting very close to touching the head. Especially since it looks like you might be spinning this engine higher than most street engines. The RPM range of the camshaft is 3000 - 6800 rpm.

If you decked the block to .010", that would give you more options when it comes to head gaskets, but if you don't then the SCE copper at .021 would work fine. Quench clearance of .046" should work reasonably well. If you're thinking about getting below about .042", then you might want to check every cylinder. Rods and pistons can vary a couple of thousandths, plus the block might be high or low on one end (unless you deck it) so you can match the long rods with short pistons and/or install in the appropriate location in the block.

Just a heads up, it would be easier to respond if you didn't put your response inside the quoted text. I can't quote your response when it's inside a quote already. I know you're trying to keep the answer next to the associated text, but there is a better way.

Just highlight the text you want to respond to, then you will get the popup. Click on "Reply" and it will insert the text in a quote box into your reply. Start your response directly under the quote.

Just make sure that your cursor in your response is located where you want the quoted text to appear.

upload_2022-11-21_18-16-15.png

Below is what it would look like before you actually post your reply.

upload_2022-11-21_18-26-27.png

And after you post.

Looks good, and thanks.
Your welcome !

Big and littles, should give it the proper look. Picked up the rear (31/18.5/15 Mickeys sportsman) tires on some black steel 5on 5 bolt pattern wheels which will do me no good but the price was very right. Found the complete fronts (26/6.5/15 MT sportsmans) and rear wheels a month or soo later. The rear wheels had a set of tires on them, so I had the MT's swapped onto the weld rears.

20221121_152105.jpg-2.png

20221121_152139.jpg-2.png

I think I will try to find a set of wheels for these Hoosiers Quick time pro's. They came with the Welds that are now on the MT's. Back to looking in Craigslist and FB market place.

20221121_152610.jpg-2.png

hmm mine when I highlight a section and then click it just gives me the option to cut,copy,paste ect ect
I wasn't there, but what you did above seems to have worked ..... I just quoted your comment to my post. AND your post came after my post, not inside of my post.

Keep trying, especially when there in not already a quote. You will see what I'm talking about.

@no excuses

Below is my conversation with Larry Atherton of Motion Software that publishes Dynomation Engine Simulation Software.
My words are in Blue Italicized Text and his words are in GREEN (No Italicized) text. You might want to start at the bottom of the emails and read going up to be in chronologically order.

--------------------------------------- Email Stops Here ---------------------------------------
Rick,
Thanks so much. I appreciate it!
Gobble Gobble to you, too!

Larry Atherton
Motion Software, Inc.

Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 3:56 PM
To: latherton@motion.com
Subject: Re: "Start RPM" Changes HP/TQ Numbers ???

On 11/22/2022 4:31 PM, Larry Atherton wrote:

Rick,

Ok, Just to be sure I have this straight, the customer is using solid roller lifters on a roller hydraulic cam.
Yes, that is correct.

Is that correct? What is the main reason for the combination? Is this a common practice?
This is something that is going in a TBucket, so I'm not sure he will have a good reason. But I will certainly ask that question. Both of us would like to know the answer to that question. I didn't think you would be that invested in these circumstances, but I do greatly appreciate your interest !! You never seize to amaze me Larry !

You explained it correctly in your in initial question, but I didn’t read it close enough. Sorry.
I get it, how many times have you encountered someone that wants to do something even close to this. Surely this is something that is NOT on your radar.

The change in RR from 1.6 to 1.62, changes the (Intake) valve lift from 5.63 to .570 (0.007 increase). So you are correct, the valve lift will remain the same after 0.006 of lash is added.
What is the customer is trying to accomplish by the lifter-type swap.

I will just have to ask and get back with you.....
Tomorrow and the next day I'm a slave to my wife, we always have TG for the family. So if I don't have answers for you, have a good one !!!
--------------------------------------------------- Email Starts Here ------------------------------------------

(Larry & Me) Why did you want to use Solid roller lifters on a Hydraulic lifter cam ???
(Me) How did you come up with a lash adjustment of .006" ???
(Me) Have you done something like this before, just interested in how it worked ??? Your observations would be greatly appreciated !

Rick Miller
Yukon Oklahoma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything below the line above is for history and transparency, and may or may not add to the conversation above.

Larry,

Appreciate you getting back to me !

Attached is the cam card for the Lunati 20350518.

This cam is a HYDRAULIC roller camshaft with SOLID roller lifters. The .006" lash I referred to below is the user chosen lash adjustment. It is NOT a value stipulated my Lunati. Sorry if this has added some confusion to our conversation.

Rick Miller
Yukon, Oklahoma

--------------------------------------------------

On 11/21/2022 6:15 PM, Larry Atherton wrote:

Rick,

I thought (without really looking) that Lunati was using 0.020 lift heights for Primary and 0.050 for secondary on your cam. Looks like that’s not the case.

If they are using 0.006 and it’s a solid lifter cam, that’s not typical of COMP or Crower. Everyone has a different method!

I would really like to see your cam card. I was unable to see the lift-height for Primary timing on the Lunati’s website.

Thanks.

Larry Atherton
Motion Software, Inc.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2022 1:47 PM
To: latherton@motionsoftware.com
Subject: Re: "Start RPM" Changes HP/TQ Numbers ???

I had a second question in the first email, it was below the 2nd graphic. It's about solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam. I have included just below this text for your convenience.

This person is going to use this Lunati 20350518 hydraulic roller camshaft, but is using SOLID roller tappets with a .006" lash clearance. The Ford stock rocker ratio is 1.6, the new RR is 1.62. The .006" loss in lift seems to be a wash with increase lift of .02 of the new RR. Therefore I didn't change any parameters to compensate.

How would you handle this situation ?

If you have time before the holidays it would be appreciated !

Rick Miller
Yukon Oklahoma

Has anyone heard if Mickey Thompson will resume making the Street Radials after the first of the year?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back