Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Build or Buy?

I got the idea into my head that I wanted a car like the yellow coupe in "American Grafitti". I had a huge mortgage and kids so the bucks were thin. I could only afford a glass T body so I braced myself for reality and ordered one COD. I then stared at it for 2 days. Jeez, it was tiny. I had started telling all my relatives and both my friends about how I was going to build a hotrod. They replied: "Sure you are." Soon it became apparent that I was in WAY over my head. I had never welded anything and had never even heard of an angle grinder. In fact some of the frame parts I cut with a hacksaw. I was working full time plus 20 hours a week part-time. Stayed up late alone in my garage and had many disgruntled glances from the wife. I could hang it up any time but since I had bragged to all those folks about what I was going to do, I would be too ashamed to quit. I actually did hang it up out of frustration twice. I got discouraged when it came time to set up the master brake cylinder and brake lines. I felt that was way out of my league. Marty, a tech rep at Speedway, gave my confidence. He had done it on the T he built and convinced me it was no big deal. I had other trying times but I perservered. It took a year-and-a-half before I actually started the engine and drove it around the block for the first time. I clearly remember getting out of the car and crying. I was just bursting with pride.

Every time I take that car for a ride I shake my head in awe of the fact that I am driving a collection of old used and basically hand made parts. An actual, cool looking custom model T roadster, made from scratch, that drives down the road. Excellant handling and drivability thrown in. Now I can only speak for myself, but buying someone elses dream just doesn't fit into my lifestyle. I can not believe that there is any other way to achieve the contentment, pride and personal satisfaction that a person gets when designing, engineering and building something as complex as a legal roadworthy automobile. When anyone gives me the thumbs up or a big grin as I drive by, I get a special feeling in my heart. That car is an extension of ME. That is egotistical of course but it makes me feel wonderful. That was what I was after when I started the project: something to show for my existance. If I fail to come up to par in other chapters in my life - at least there will be that car.

To sum up I guess what matters is how badly you want something and how much satisfaction you want from it.

I can speak from both camps because I have done it both ways. In my younger days I cut my teeth on my first T-Bucket. I can't weld and had to pay to have some of the work done . . . but when it was finished it was something I had done. And having built it myself I knew it front to back and was confident in the car. I drove it everywhere. Even on a road trip from California to Texas and back with my nine year old son. I logged in some 38,000 miles on the car before selling it. That was some 26 years ago and there hasn't been a day since I don't regret having to sell the car. Just this past January I bought a finished Total Performance bucket which has been on the road 10 years and needed some TLC. The reason I bought a finished car is that I'm now 63 years old and my health isn't the greatest so I didn't want to waste a couple of years building a car from scratch . . . I wanted to spend that time enjoying it. I have put a new engine and transmission in the car, rewired it and gone over it for safety and am now driving it full time. I don't regret buying a finished car and I get the same thrill out of driving a hot rod . . . but there isn't the attachment to the car nor the confidence in the car that I had with my first bucket. It may be a little more expensive, but if age and health permit you can find a better way to spend a couple of years and the rewards at the end are beyond words. My vote is for building it your way.

I guess i have done it all 3 ways. our first adventure with a t started with a body on a rolling frame and somewhat running engine. after a complete tear down,and new everything it was done,we also got a "driver" for a cheap 7 grand. after reworking some fiber glass changing some steering parts and rims, rebuilding carbs adn fixing scaring wireing it was done. since then we have done 2 kits from total performance. the kits turned out nicer,all new, we knew what replacement parts would be if needed, and just seemed easier.all 3 seemed to end up about the same money in the end. my thought for future projects is a kit frame and rolling gear so it new and safe. but maybe try and save some cash on body ,wiring,lights ectall the little things that add up buy getting used. I would love to be the guy that welds his own frame and really builds it from scratch but i know i m not id rather "assemble" a kit add my finishing touches

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back