Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Caliper Rebuild

TriodeLuvr

Looks like everything on my car has decided to leak at the same time. First it was the rear axles, then the proportioning valve, now one of the front calipers is wet. The box of parts I got with my car included a Speedway instruction sheet for a kit to install MustangII/Pinto/Bobcat calipers on '49-'54 Chevy spindles. It says the calipers should be '74 and up. Can anyone confirm that's what I have from the photos below?

Jack

p476973573.jpg

p1802365153.jpg

Thanks Dave! When you say "new," do you mean rebuilt? The rebuilds are certainly cheap enough, but then I have to repaint (spray cans) and hope the color is close. Not sure which is better at this point.

Jack

If you want to take the time to disassemble , clean , possibly hone , &reassemble , have at it ... me , I'd get new or remanned & paint 'em

Yes to replace and if the red doesn't match make it a contrasting color. You'll mess up the paint during the rebuild or bleed anyway!

Yes to replace and if the red doesn't match make it a contrasting color. You'll mess up the paint during the rebuild or bleed anyway!
That's a good idea about the contrasting color. Guess I'll take it apart and check the condition before I decide. This is DOT5 system, so the fluid won't damage the paint.

Jack

Well, I took another look at the leaking caliper last night, and I'm not sure now that it's the piston. There's a film on the inner surfaces of the caliper, just like a leaking piston, but I also discovered the bleeder screw is really wet. I remember this screw had a lot of play when I bled the brakes a few months back, so this could be another case of a heavy-handed owner hacking it up. I probably won't want to rebuild the caliper(s) plus repair the bleeder screw. Guess it's time to spray some paint and see how it looks.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back