Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carbon Fiber Body

T4TWO

Hey gang,

Sorry, Haven't been online in a while due to other home repair projects that need to be done at my parent's house. With both my kids off on their own theres lots of projects for me to occupy my time with no help. I really would rather get back to building my "T". But, anway I was thinking of buying or trying to make a carbon fiber body for my bucket. I was planning on keeping the old body that I have to use as a mold.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks, Scott :cool:

Sounds like a neat idea! I haven't seen anything like that but know it should be strong and lightweight for sure not to mention cool looking! Pics would be great if you do it or find one! :D

The carbon fiber look would be awesome.

Carbon fiber runs from $60 to $250 per yard in a 42" to 50" wide roll.

You could save some by just laying up the first layer (the outer layer) in carbon. Then you could back it up with fiberglass.

It could look pretty cool. You wouldn't ever need to paint it then.

I have heard the stuff is trickier to work with than fiberglass. Especially if you are going for the exposed outer layer. Getting the weave to lay out straight and lined up the way you want it could be a challenge.

I've seen hoods and fenders done in carbon fiber. Beautiful stuff when done right. Not traditional looking for sure! You could call it the "High Tech" bucket.

David

tanger25zoom.jpg
tanger11zoom.jpg
tanger20zoom.jpg

These are from the tangerine t from total performance I think just carbon lookalike paint but cool.

Nice pix's! :cool:

Yup, very strong and lite weight. Heard that the cost of the resin is what gets you. Something stupid like $1200.00 for a 5 gallon bucket. Shoot epoxy or surf board resin is way cheaper than that. I was planning on adding a little paint under the carbon fiber just to give it a little more color. You guys think I could use my old body as a mold? Haven't heard of anyone making these for us Bucket Heads? Thinking one big sheet per body pannel an joining them at the body lines.

Thoughts??? :confused:

That would depend on what the goal is; a strong light weight body or just a carbon look like body.

all the carbon fiber racing bodies I have seen made on shows on Speed or Discovery Channel were made with the aid of vacuum forming and autoclave. Which I would doubt very seiously anybody like us have. Good luck and I hope you have deep pockets. Would be a nice light strong body though.

Where's Larry? Seems like he knew a little bit about carbon fiber makings and procedures, costs, difficulty, etc.

IIRC, the final outcome was that it's too costly and difficult vs. very little benefit for our little cars.

Keeper said:
Why not just use your body and lay the carbon fiber right on the outside? No mold needed!

Then cut/rip out the old body after? That might work.

Thinking of a strong lite weight body, not a look a like. Although the look a like idea, might be the cheaper and still some what strong way to go.

I heard the cost is a HUGE factor, no deep pockets here. Well it was just a thought, but if anyone has info, please share it with all of us.

Just a side note, there are some really cool and instructional videos on YouTube that show carbon fiber panels being mad. Search with the phrase "Carbon Fiber" and enjoy.

T-Odd said:
Where's Larry? Seems like he knew a little bit about carbon fiber makings and procedures, costs, difficulty, etc.

IIRC, the final outcome was that it's too costly and difficult vs. very little benefit for our little cars.

Sorry for the delay. I was at bonneville watching our friend Jim (EXJUNK) and his friends run thier car :lol: You remembered correctly Todd.
I certainly am no expert at carbon fiber, but I have played with it a little, so I can offer my take on it. First, I see it like chrome moly, Neat stuff, just not worth the expense or the difficulty for what we are doing. If the ultimate is strength vs. weight is your concern, use it. But for normal use... Nope.
Carbon fiber is a good amount more than glass. Quality glass too, not cheap stuff. I dont have a catalog handy, but will try and find one later to show the prices. I dont think carbon fiber itself is any lighter than fiberglass, but it is stronger, so It can be made thinner, thus lighter. But again does it matter vs. the cost ? NO, not for what we are doing.
Carbon fiber can be laid up just like fiberglass, but you do not get the most out of it. You can use plain polyester resin, but most use epoxy. It is more than polyester, but not like crazy expensive. Again I will try to get some prices later to show the comparison.
Like BT said, to get the most out of it requires some specialized techniques. Vacuum bagging, and an auto clave. The way the formula 1 and indy cars are done, is they use a product called prepreg. it is carbon fiber cloth already treated with the proper amount of resin. No extra resin means no extra wieght. And they also use a honey comb design in the layup. Not like the single wall thickness we use in a T body. getting that light weight vs Strength isnt just in the material. It is also in the design, and construction.
So now... If you dont have extensive fiberglass experience, working the CF will be tough. And like someone else said... trying to get it to lay down with the pattern straight will be tough. Look at a T body. That area around the cowl, windsheld posts, dash area... will be tough to do good. And the bed OMG.... Trying to get all that to lay in, without air pockets... and keep the pattern straight ? you better be real good...
An overlay might be best. The way overlays are done, is simple. The part to be covered is sprayed with 3M spray glue. The CF is put on. Then coated with clear epoxy resin. That resin is then scuffed, and sprayed with clear. High build urethane car clear. Then sanded and buffed. None of the carbn fiber, advantages, but all the look LOL..
I did the switch panel in my car with CF, just to show those on that other T bbs that it can be done without any special tools. And turn out nicely too. This is just one layer of carbon fiber (a small piece bought off ebay) and two layers of 6 oz fiberglass behind it). Nothing special... Maybe I'll do some more complex stuff on my new car :cool:

100_0411.jpg

As threads say, "carbon" (kevlar) or other aramids like nomex can be made as a very light layup because the fibre is so strong. Aramid layups are light because the resin content is minimised through a vacuum process which usually involves "bagging" whereby the uncured layup and (usually male) former is encased in PVC bag and a vacuum is pulled on the whole thing, squeezing all but the minimum of resin out. This is where the strength comes from as well, because the fibres in the cloth are aligned correctly as per the designers plan to carry the stress completely evenly where he wants it to run, and wether the part is designed for tension, compression, bending moment or a combination of these.
It ain't cheap, and sanding/cutting any aramid layup is potentially hazardous because the dust is bad, bad, bad shyte on your skin and way worse if ingested either orally or inhaled.

Thanks Steve, Just recieved the package you sent. Planning on watching it this weekend. Thanks again, Props to you!

Scott

Having composite experience in aeronautics maybe I could shed some more light on the subject.
First, in the realm of T bucket bodies the choice to go from standard non-structural fiberglass to a carbon based structural composite should be questioned using mathematics. When designing for strength we must first have an idea of how strong you need it. To answer this we also have to determine why more strength is required. I have no experience in T Buckets but just looking at the body itself the only real reason for increasing the strength is because of an accident. In that case its almost impossible to design a structure from composites that would even begin to make sense and still keep the shell looking like something cool. A side impact or a roll over in a T Bucket would require a structure with some serious bracing.

What we can do however is create a body with unbelievable strength and rigidity while still maintaining the hotrod look. Lets first look at some strength of materials.

• Carbon Fiber: ultimate tensile=130,000 max. compressive=126,000 mod=24 weight per cubic ft.=100 lbs
  • S Glass: ultimate tensile=650,000 max. compressive=65,700 mod=12.6 weight per cubic ft.=156 lbs
  • Kevlar: ultimate tensile=525,000 max. compressive=40,000 mod=19 weight per cubic ft.=86.4 lbs
  • Balsa: ultimate tensile=100 max. compressive=1,700 mod=.55 weight per cubic ft=9 lbs lbs
  • Polystyrene: ultimate tensile=22 max. compressive=15 mod=.0008 weight per cubic ft=2 lbs

As you can see kevlar and carbon fiber have great strength to weight numbers but only if used in a properly designed structure. Notice how I put in balsa wood and polystyrene? That is the key to producing a composite with any type of strength.

Without getting too detailed and drawn out let me just say that composites that are laid up and made into just a simple panel doesnt really make a strong structure no matter what material is used. A strong structure is created instead, by a sandwich type method. Ill give you an example. Imagine a standard fiberglass body using non-structural fiberglass the cheap stuff and building a thin skin of about an 1/8 thick, and well just call that the standard body available. If we wanted to make is really strong and spend very little money the solution would be a sandwich type structure. The process would be something like this:

Gel-coat the mold and put two layers of lightweight fiberglass at 90 deg. from each other. On top of that put a layer of open cell 2# per sq. ft. polystyrene everywhere except any attachment points. Here we can put void free plywood big enough where it can transfer loads into the structure. Balsa wood is used in spots where mounting doesnt make sense but a little extra stiffness does. Once thats figured out two more layers of non-structural glass is laid over that at 90 deg to each other. Without some serious design work we couldnt begin to guess at how strong the normal store bought body is but we can determine how much stronger the new one is versus the old one.

On the new one regardless of material (foam or wood) the fact thats is easily twice as thick the body now becomes 8 times stiffer and 4 times stronger just by using a sandwich type structure at thick. So you can see now how a thin body made of carbon vs fiberglass makes no sense. In fact, using just non-structural glass and building up depth with foam or balsa wood is much stronger than a thin body of carbon fiber alone. Keep in mind also that carbon fiber is very heat sensitive and degrades very fast when subjected to ambient temp over 90 deg. Another thing to remember is the carbon fiber thats available is the stuff that companies like Lockheed Martin and Boeing reject because they have first dibs on the good stuff and carbon fiber is in short supply.

Hope that helps
Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back