Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

changing motor mounts

tmaxxman21

i have a SBC in my bucket with a 6-71 blower.. well i romped the throttle and broke a mount. im currently changing out the motor mounts and i cant seem to get them to come apart.. my jacking the car up by puting a jack under the oil pan and its just lifting the whole car up. how can i change out my mounts without lifting the motor with a typical motor lift?

thanks

A picture of your mount might be helpful in solving your problem.

Jim

Hop in the car, start it, put her in gear, hold on the brakes really hard, then goose it, she'll pivot up, have a friend put a piece of wood in there so it won't get wedged back in. Depending on the side, you might have to put her in reverse and do it.
Then just a simple matter of pulling the bolt from the opposite side, with bottle jack under harmonic balancer, you should be able to change it out fine....

Oh yes, before I forget, there are several things you want to watch for....the gap between the firewall and your dist. cap, gap between your mechanical fan and the radiator, and if you have brackets holding your mufflers. Depending, you might have to take your radiator hoses off....
ALWAYS pull your neg. battery lead off when working around things.....

Oh yes, before I forget, there are several things you want to watch for....the gap between the firewall and your dist. cap, gap between your mechanical fan and the radiator, and if you have brackets holding your mufflers. Depending, you might have to take your radiator hoses off....
ALWAYS pull your neg. battery lead off when working around things.....

You got me there! How you gonna disconnect the battery cable then start it up to dislodge that broken mount. Just wondering;)

If you have the "short and wide" mounts like a lot of Ts, it's pretty easy. Assuming it's the driver's side, since it always goes first, I put a small piece of wood on a bottle jack and jack the left side of the engine. Just in front of the dipstick there is a wide spot on the block casting. Jack from there and keep checking until your mount bolts get easy. Just slide the old one out and slip the new one in. It takes 10 minutes and I do it at least once a year with regular Napa mounts that cost $6. I could get reinforced poly mounts, but what's the point? I just keep a spare in the toolbox. Poly mounts would be worthwhile on a blower motor, and remember your right side mount will last forever if you change the left one as soon as it breaks.

You got me there! How you gonna disconnect the battery cable then start it up to dislodge that broken mount. Just wondering;)

After he gets it seperated, puts a piece of wood in there. turns off the motor.
Now, it would be a good time to pull the cable off so it would be safe.
Now, he gets the bottle jack, puts some tension on the harmonic balancer.
-While he is raising the motor, he needs to look for those interference problems.-
Hey, he wants to jack around and loose a finger like I did, or a arm or his life....so be it. Better to be safe than sorry.
I had a wrench slide off the rag I had up on the cowl, working, and the wrench hit the battery cable where it attached to the starter....that big, strong battery blew the end off the wrench when it shorted to the block
Yada, yada, yada....

After motor mount is secured after install, hook up battery, crank it, test drive it....upon rolling out onto the fresh asphalt, swing that big hammer and see if it breaks again.

If it breaks when the motor is lifting on that one side, a cable stay should be used, possibly a torque bar....

i have a SBC in my bucket with a 6-71 blower.. well i romped the throttle and broke a mount. im currently changing out the motor mounts and i cant seem to get them to come apart.. my jacking the car up by puting a jack under the oil pan and its just lifting the whole car up. how can i change out my mounts without lifting the motor with a typical motor lift?

thanks
I had tried to reply about 4 times, and my reply kept disappearing....Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. Usually a pan is plenty sturdy, but I make it a point of not jacking on one. It makes a terrible noise when you dent one and the rod hits it, besides, a dented oilpan looks like hell!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back